Hello from Northern Ireland

Tell us about you self, where you from, your car/cars, where you are driving your MAGracing cars etc. etc.
Lonestar

Hello from Northern Ireland

Post by Lonestar »

Hey folks, im Scott.. currently living in Northern Ireland. Originally from Scotland I moved over 15 years ago and settled down. Now I need a hobby to do that is quiet and keeps me out of trouble!

Looking forward to speaking to you all soon :)
Ned

Re: Hello from Northern Ireland

Post by Ned »

Welcome to the forum. Are you planning an indoor track or an outdoor track?
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

Ned wrote:Welcome to the forum. Are you planning an indoor track or an outdoor track?
Hey man, thanks :)

Im converting my attic currently and I aim to have a decent size "complex" of hairpins and chicanes into an area that follows the perimeter of the room.

Im getting track wire, lane changing plates and a body shell delivered next week so I can make a start :)
Ned

Post by Ned »

Keep in mind that some glues, such as PVA glue, (also known as carpenters glue and wood glue) are acidic. That can be a serious problem in damp or wet environments. I suspect that your attic will be pretty dry so that won't be a problem.
The cars will navigate a 7" radius curve very slowly. I recommend a minimum 9" radius. Maximum grade should not exceed 10% (1 foot vertical rise in 10 feet of horizontal run).
5 - 10 degrees of banking significantly affects the speed at which the cars can navigate a turn.

Make sure the batteries you buy have a magnetic + terminal. In other words be sure that the + terminal of the battery is attracted to the magnetic + terminal in the battery compartment of the chassis. This is not an issue for the transmitter/controller. It may take 2-3 weeks to get your batteries and charger.

Let me know if you have other questions. I have done a lot of experimenting with MagRacing in the past 5 months.

Ned
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

Ned wrote:Keep in mind that some glues, such as PVA glue, (also known as carpenters glue and wood glue) are acidic. That can be a serious problem in damp or wet environments. I suspect that your attic will be pretty dry so that won't be a problem.
The cars will navigate a 7" radius curve very slowly. I recommend a minimum 9" radius. Maximum grade should not exceed 10% (1 foot vertical rise in 10 feet of horizontal run).
5 - 10 degrees of banking significantly affects the speed at which the cars can navigate a turn.

Make sure the batteries you buy have a magnetic + terminal. In other words be sure that the + terminal of the battery is attracted to the magnetic + terminal in the battery compartment of the chassis. This is not an issue for the transmitter/controller. It may take 2-3 weeks to get your batteries and charger.

Let me know if you have other questions. I have done a lot of experimenting with MagRacing in the past 5 months.

Ned
Thanks for the info bud, really appreciate you sharing that with me! Ill post some pics of the attic as I go along. Im going to start the track asap and get my practice in before I start the real one
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

welcome Scott :thumpup
/Keld
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

Keld wrote:welcome Scott :thumpup
Thanks Keld! :)