Auto-Charged Super Capacitor Technology

ravajack

Auto-Charged Super Capacitor Technology

Post by ravajack »

Maybe this concept may be worth considering for convenience and true "slot car properties" (continous power):

tsmra

Re: Auto-Charged Super Capacitor Technology

Post by tsmra »

Wonder if that is the same principal as an electric tooth brush?

Brion.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

My electric toothbrush will not travell that fast! But right Induktans transfer.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

tsmra wrote:Wonder if that is the same principal as an electric tooth brush?

Brion.
Almost, not exactly but almost the same.
/Keld
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

Would be very good for short races with pit stops, if the caps are large enough, you can literally hear them reach full charge (remember old flash units? Same thing). People who didn't stop would literally 'run out of gas' on the track, would make for VERY INTERESTING racing. Best part is no need for batteries in the cars, but voltage regulation may be necessary, I'd need to think it through. With multiple stepped capacitors, your car would run slower and slower before you ran out, if I am thinking properly.

From what I can see, they are charging up a capacitor on the car that powers a DC motor as it discharges.

Electric toothbushes I think take advantage of AC current, with what I would guess is a capacitor and a diode combo to charge a rechargeable battery in the toothbrush with no direct electrical connection.

JSS
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

VERY interesting. Got some pics of some caps? Would solve quite a few problems I am finding placing batteries in my 66-68 can-am cars. Not so easy placing a full interror & a battery. No battery at all I like. Caps could be placed as space is avallible. Pit or run out of "gas" I love.

Side note..... My 60's F1 cars would become possible too....... :yes
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

I was thinking out loud, the solution would likely be much more complex, as capacitors store a certain amount of charge when a certain voltage is placed across them, assuming no current limitations. The problem is one of discharging them at a constant, or near constant voltage, like a battery does. I will have to think about this, but someone else may chime in and state whether or not what I am thinking of would be more trouble than it is worth....

JSS
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

Here is a great read on the subject:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... rcapacitor

Looks like a supercapacitor coupled to a DC to DC converter would be able to possibly give a few minutes run time before needing recharge, and would have a near infinite charge cycle lifetime.

JSS
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

My tooth brush does use induction charging while it is not in use. I don't really see the need if you can charge a Li-ion for a 1/2 hour and get 1 hour run time out of it. Neat idea if we do endurance racing I guess, endless racing!.

Paul
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

The qustions is not about the battery!
If you have a capacitor, its act like a fuel tank!

You need to take in to Pit to fill it up!
For us how like LMP its real. ;-)