Alternative Batteries

Nor Cal Mike

Alternative Batteries

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

For those like I who would like to fit narrower bodies on cars, the 10440 battery is an issue due to its length. Mounted transversely it forces use of a wider chassis than will fit most 1/32 sports or saloon cars. In all but the very longest cars, it is also too long to fit longitudinally in the chassis when the steering and electronic components are accounted for. I for one wish to build a group of 1/32 front engine roadster sports cars of the mid 50's to early 60's eras. The chassis dimensions of the current chassis poses a problem.

When I ordered my first set of batteries and charger, I somehow wound up with the wrong charger to fit my 10440 batteries. It took a shorter but larger diameter battery, the 16340.
Since I had already ordered a second charger from another supplier for 10440's, rather than attempting to return the wrong charger to Hong Kong, I decided to keep it and order batteries to fit for experimentation purposes.

The 16340 is a 880mAh rated battery at the same voltage as the 600mHa rated 10440. The extra amperage should give the car a little more staying power between charges and maybe a little more umph to allow the car to carry a little more weight. Here is a visual comparison of the batteries laying atop the chassis.

A little more research showed me how the identification numbers denote battery dimensions. I found that the first two number identify the diameter of the battery while the second two identify the length. Therefor the single cell 10440 battery has a diameter of 10mm and a length of 44mm. The 16340 has 16mm X 34mm dimensions. My information source didn't identify what the fifth number (0) is used for.

I intend to build some alternative chassis to fit Wes' components to. This information will be useful in determining the architecture for those chassis. The second charger that I ordered is a more universal one designed for Li-ion batteries. It will be useful if I wind up using several different batteries for different purposes.

Merry Christmas
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Re: Alternative Batteries

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Looks like a good goof to me. I saw some 3.7 batteries that are 1/2 the length of an AA battery and 1200 mAh. I think we are going to need a battery that is about 4cm. At least there are lots of possibilities.

What about a simple 9 volt?.......
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

the last tree is tenth of mm ;)

14250 is a ½ AA size around 10 gr. maybe useful for you
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

You are correct. Those numbers are cm not mm. Thanks to you who are more familiar with the metric system for correcting me.
Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Now I am totally confused. I am measuring the 10440 battery with my rule and I get 10mm 44mm. The 16340 is 16mm X 34mm. Isn't that what I said originally?
Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Nor Cal Mike wrote:Now I am totally confused. I am measuring the 10440 battery with my rule and I get 10mm 44mm. The 16340 is 16mm X 34mm. Isn't that what I said originally?
Mike
Oh Yes but you wrote this too:
Nor Cal Mike wrote:My information source didn't identify what the fifth number (0) is used for.
Thats why I explain that
Keld wrote:the last tree is tenth of mm
Nobody say anything about cm ;) that's the opposite direction.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Keld wrote:Nobody say anything about cm ;) that's the opposite direction.
Pardon my momentary confusion. I think it came from Joels statement, "Looks like a good goof to me." I read it that I had made a mistake in my quoting of the battery dimensions when he actually was referring to the fact that I had been sent the wrong charger. My understanding of the metric system isn't very fluent. I know it from studying it in school but have never used it beyond knowing that I need a 10mm wrench for a metric bolt that looks about 5/16" to me :lol: I am a retired carpenter so my brain is well versed in feet, inches and fractions of an inch but not the meter. Had I had become a mechanic, metrics would be more natural for me.
What do you mean by, "tree"? Are you referring to the last "digit" in the serial number? When I read tree, I see a big forest of them outside my window. :D

But back to the topic. I am happy to see that there are alternatives to the 10440 battery. I like Wes' battery box design that allows quick changes from the underside of the car. My only problem is the dimension of that particular battery. I think it will be easy to construct another battery box using simple materials that is similar to Wes' design. That will make these cars more flexible for use with other bodies. As for Joel's suggestion about a 9v. battery, I think that battery is too large and question whether the electronics can take the extra voltage. Perhaps diodes could be installed to reduce the voltage into the receiver chip but we are still left with the large size of the battery itself. I am surprised in the relatively low price of the Li-ion batteries. Other than not being able to pick them up from a store shelf for purchase, they are relatively cheap way to power these cars.
Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Nor Cal Mike wrote:
Keld wrote:
What do you mean by, "tree"? Are you referring to the last "digit" in the serial number? When I read tree, I see a big forest of them outside my window. :D
Mike
Sorry English is not my main language, I speak 6 different but no one perfect :D
three = 3 = tre in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Italian so that's why I forgot the h, ill try to remember that there are no h in wood :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry tree, but one i 3
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I just found out that the last digit in the ID numbers denotes the shape of the battery. O = Cylindrical. So to sum it up, a 10440 battery is 10mm in diameter X 44mm in length and cylindrical in shape (0).

Kelb I realized this morning that you have a battery & charger specific forum where I should have placed this thread when I started it. Feel free to move it if you wish.
Mike