What is all the good reason to join MAGracing

here the word is free (almost) if you would like to discuss real cars ore something else, but nothing that can offence people.
Keld
Administrator

What is all the good reason to join MAGracing

Post by Keld »

Wes say a lot on his webpage and in the videos, but what is you're reason to going MAGracing?
lets hear all the good things, how can this be sold to our friends so we can meet next door to race?
it is so simple to make 4 or 6 plate 2x1 meter (almost 6'x3') and have the standing behind the door, even kids can put them on the floor and race within 10 min. we don't need to build a slotcar track with 50 pieces where then connections don't work so we only have power in one lane. and when mommy coming home we can clean up the living room in 10 min. and the boss stay happy. :D

I did list something here just let us know your reasons.

I raced R/C in the 80's and don't think the handling is good enough, it is to difficult to have small tracks, It's fine on a outdoor track where the track is x10 or more of the cars size, but that's not realistic to see these wide tracks, its fun and fast.
Later I tried mini-z and others and .. no that not working proper, the cars are great but hard to drive on small tracks.

I do race slotcars, having a 8 laner wood track 41 meter long, racing all kinds of slot, but prefer 1/24 plastic kits with metal chassis like this:
But the speed is still to fast, ok on the straight but much to fast cornering.
I will not stop racing slotcars, never, we have too much fun with that, and I love building beautiful cars.
But I don't think the tracks are nice, if we race on the 8 laner there are 1 m. from side to side. and still we only 8 cars on the track at the time.
Another track I race at are a 5 laner that's more realistic, but when we are 60 guys having a race there are to little race time on the track and to many beers next to the track. that's also fun. :cheers:

So why not MAGracing, the system brings IMO the best from Slot and R/C together.:

As a track owner you don't have to think about wiring and power supplies, controller connections etc.

The track building is less complicated than slotcar track, and much cheaper.

It's look more realistic with the size of the road.

Less Marshall'ing many 'deslotted' cars can go back on the track with help from the steering.

No problem being 16 cars on the track, and possibilities for ghost riders too.

Running time is no problem, in slotracing we have lane change every 3 or 5 min. here we go 20 min without problems, so we can have many short races on a club evening, or long distance races with pit stops.

realistic 'deslotting', the cars spin off the track or just running wide in the corner, not ending upside down as slotcars often do.

doing the raceline in corners really gives you a kick, when i try this for the first time I also think OK this i mostly like slotcar racing, easy to let the car follow the line and just accelerate and brake, but NO there are more into it, braking point a little earlier, but taking the racing line the corners can be done much faster, so you benefit for it.

Speed on this cars are good and realistic.

Overtaking, you has to plan your overtaking, it is not possible at all spots on the track just like real life racing, as IRL you can race behind and press the other car to make a mistake, that could be missing a raceline, or wheel spin coming out of the corner.

In the future more than 16 channels will be possible, and safety cars is possible more about that later.
counting system is almost ready, Wes will soon be ready with the system.

MAGracing will not overtake Slotcar or R/C

Just because you drink coke and i drink rhum, the breezers are doing just fine

HAPPY racing no matter what kind of racing. :lol:
/Keld
Joel, LeNoir

Re: What is all the good reason to join MAGracing

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Very simple..... No slot or copper tape....
Leonabi76

Post by Leonabi76 »

I agree with Joel...simple track setup. Perfect for the DIY-er. No slots. Further, I agree with you Keld. Every point you listed is very valid. For me, I think the overlying appeal is the scale realism, with no slots. So far from what I've read and seen from the many vid's posted the speed and overall look of the cars on the track with...no slots! :lol:

Seriously, though, the look of the cars running the lines without those mangy routes underneath looks really, really clean. And though RC didn't have the routes, they didn't have the feasibility for the fantastic scenery and modeling that can be had with the 1/32 scale slots. It's been iterated many times but I'll state it again...MagRacing looks to be the right balance between both of the sport hobbies.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

One more thing here, after one more club night, we found out that it is so easy to learn. If you are 6 or 60 doesn't matter we all have fun :rolf and can compete on the same track, the difference in skills make it just like LeMans or Daytona 24H, where the fast car has to overtake the slow one with several laps. It is so damn realistic to race behind and looking for the space to overtake. I love this Magracing :yes

a beginner video showing diff. age compete:
taken by Kasper the proud father to the youngest driver Oliver age 6 :thumpup

turn the camera next time please :usch
/Keld
bwolfsohn

Post by bwolfsohn »

In this video, there seems to be a lot of spinning out, as compared to the other video posted this morning...

On a technical level, is this due to too much magnetic force holding the front in while the rear spins out, as opposed to the other video just uploaded:

http://www.magracingforum.com/viewtopic ... &t=28#p551

where cars simple go off the course and drive wide ??

or, is it just slick tires ??

inquiring minds want to know.. :)
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I think this video shows a track with sharper corners, and 3 newbies on the track at the same time with 2 more skillful drivers.
on the video from Wes there are 3 good drivers and 1 girl goving slow, but also here you can find a back end on the Porsche going out.

I think the difference is because of the corners, and the skills bye the drivers, and a little because there are more grip on the cars on Wes track.

but yes the magnet has to adjusted to have the right amount of grip.
/Keld
WesR

Post by WesR »

In reply to bwolfsons queries, the magnet must be adjusted to just clear the wire/track surface. If the magnet is too high, steering will be lost and the car will leave the track. If the magnet is too low, it will of course catch on the wire/track at some points and slow the car. This is why it is important to fit the wire as consistently flush with the road surface as possible. It is better to aim to have the wire a fraction higher than the road surface rather than lower because it is usually easier to build up the surface than it is to lower it. If there are high spots in the wire, strips of masking tape on the wheel line will easily raise the car and the magnet so as to clear the wire.
With .8mm wire there should be a balace between cars spinning and cars understeering
off at speed. To reduce spin offs we would suggest longer straights, less tight curves, possibly a little more grip on the rear (Masking tape) and more driving practice!
Regards Wes R
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

One reason to drive a MagCar is the joy!
And of course there will be , if not in mm, so it will be a gauge (magnetic field) that cuold and should be adjustet for easch car.
I have make test with diferent kind of material, and different lenght of gap in lane change.
Its lot more to learn and come!

Shortly, I realy like it! Thanks says Lasp