Magracing under new management

Here we post news from MAGracing.
martin

Re: Magracing under new management

Post by martin »

I'm also interested in seeing how the steering works. I'm not holding my breath, but this might be a game changer for magracing
martin

Post by martin »

By the way I did not intend to be sarcastic. ​Just wondering how you did accomplish this while staying with a potential pds 60 sales chassis price. All I'm saying is if you have combined magnetic following with RC control, that would open in my mind new possibilities for magracing track build.
I looked at it and thought the only way was by translating the magnetic follower movement thru a miniature hall sensor (available but expensive at $80 or so) into an input into the software. A bit like the RealFX system which i purchased, and gave away

Martin
bswan72

Post by bswan72 »

I have been a long time follower of MAGracing. I feel the future of slot cars racing is what we have now but without the slot, no dead spots like on the current slot car digital lane changers, the ability to change lanes more often throughout the layout and better race lines in the curves. I feel MAGRacing could be the future but either needs a large manufacturer to produce complete sets or a coming together of resources to take it to the next level.

As far as these questions -
What cars would you like us to offer and what would you think popular?
I would like to see modern Trans AM, NASCAR and GT cars. Since you can get a lot of these cars from 1/32 slot car manufacturers, perhaps a better way to go would be an adjustable chassis that could accommodate an existing 1/32 slot car body. I came across this designer on Shapeways who makes such a chassis that accepts the MAGRacing electrical components - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/magraci ... =affiliate
Would you be prepared to pay a little more for a car with a more detailed body shell?
Yes. It isn't a deal breaker but given the choice, I prefer more scale detail even if I have to pay a little more.
What do you think of wired controllers?
As long as the cords are plenty long enough, I wouldn't mind using wired controllers but my first choice is wireless.
What do you think are the barriers which stop more people adopting the system?
I would say the biggest barrier is having to make the track. I would have a MAGRacing set up right now if I could buy sectional track for it which could be set up and taken down as desired. Not sure if you are familiar with Brad Bowman but he routes slot car track and has plenty of experience routing tracks with consistent rail height. I think it would be a win win if the guys behind MAGRacing reached out to him to see if he could make a few sectional MAGRacing track pieces such as a standard straight and a standard curve. MAG racing would only need to give him the specs and test a few of the track pieces. Brad could then sell these track pieces direct to the customer so MAGRacing has no costs involved in keeping inventory of these track pieces but does help to increase the popularity by removing a barrier for those customers who don't want to make the track. Here is the link the Brad's website - http://bradstracks.fsmra.com/
Would you like faster cars with a little more grip or is the current race pace about right?
I haven't had the opportunity to try a MAGRacing car but with that being said prefer more scale speeds when it comes to slot cars. I like to see a race play out as if you were watching a real race in TV. It's fun to see a car slowly reel in a car and then try to pass it at just the right time.
Would you be prepared to flash firmware into a car and base station to get more enhanced features?
Yes. I think it's a good way to add updates and fixes to an existing MAGRacing set up.
What do you think of us supplying cars where the chassis needs assembly?
If it saves costs, I am all for it as long as the directions are easy to follow.

Best regards,
Brian
martin

Post by martin »

Just wanted to give my perspective of things. I did have private E-mail with Wes (long time) before. You have an aging customer base and no new to pull in. I'm 60, and I'm one of just two potential customers I'm aware of for magracing, not the scale buidings
If you have something, consider starting a Kickstarter to decide if it works for you?

best regards,

Martin
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

Hello everyone.
I thought I would update everyone on the progress we are making and the issues we are having. There are a few here trying to get a new chassis going and I would encourage everyone to show their work as it helps a lot.

I am still trying to perfect the steering mechanism. I am indeed using a servo with a magnet attached to the arm to pull the lower guide arm left and right. As others have suggested this is not as easy as it might seem as the secondary magnet can tend to pull the lower arm upwards. This makes setting the primary magnet height very tricky. My aim would be to have a magnet that doesn't need adjusting in height if possible. This is the main reason we haven't released a chassis yet.

I have also tried a small linear servo, but this also has problems. The magnetic force is great and tends to jam the arm of the servo.

I do think there is merit in using a servo this though as having some magnetic "tension" at the centre tends to shop steering shimmy at speed. You do need to increase the main track magnet size to allow you to do this.

I am now progressing another design where the magnets are back in a more conventional position on the steering cross link (similar to the original design) so we will see if this improves things. If that is another dead end, we will have to go back to the coil. I am reluctant to do this as this will mean that we wont have analog steering, just simple left and right and also the battery run time is reduced back to what it was. I have supplied one of my boards to Magracer for trials with his setup, but haven't heard back yet as to how its going. I have also tried his separate driver board for powering a coil, but it does not work as far as I can see.

If we do have to go back to the coil system I am afraid that this means another delay as I rejig the electronics control board to be able to drive the coil. In any case I think i am going to do this so we have two board designs, one for coil and one for a servo steering for people to experiment with. This shouldn't take too long as we already have the servo one done and software developed.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

Hello Everyone
Good news at last. I have completed the design for the new chassis and all parts have been ordered so it should only be a matter of weeks now before the first cars are for sale.
The initial batch will be Porsche 908/3. The first 5 for sale will be completed and fully painted. They will probably be about £50 each. I also have a batch of Alfas in the pipeline. After that I will probably do something a bit different such as a pair of saloon cars, maybe using some purchased body shells. Your suggestions are welcome for what you want me to do.
Thank you for your patience.
Martin
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

Not sure how much battery it would cost (actually can also be a good thing cause of more pitstops ;-)) but I wondered:

did you try using a coil instead of a magnet for the guide?

That way you can disable the coil when steering and steer anywhere on the track and when not steering it would follow the wire.
Francesc Xavier

Post by Francesc Xavier »

Bon dia, Helliumfrog i companys.
Algú em pot dir que ha passat amb tot el que aquí es planejava?
No veig que s'hagi comercialitzat res de cotxes MagRacing després de més de 5 anys.
Gracies per l'atenció.
Xavi.