Free lapcounting system.

before a track could be used for serius racing and not only for practice, there must be a lapcounting system.
kiklo
Administrator

Free lapcounting system.

Post by kiklo »

As some may have read I use Racecoordinator for laptiming and have been testing and sorting out problems over a long period.
Status pr. 2020 is there are no better system for MagRacing and it got all the function you need and even more.
Cost ? Very little if you have a PC to use. I use a 5 year studentpc and it is all good.

I urge you to download from racecoordinator.net and install and have some demo run.
When you are ready to install I will help you out if you get stuck.

You can have a look at how I have done it in the pic. It consists of : Tracksensors connected to a arduino on a breadboard with a few components.
Total cost far less then U$ 20.

3 of 4 sensor groups (one in pit lane)
IMG_20200123_190626.jpg
IMG_20200123_190626.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 14367 times
Black : 4 groups of resistors and transistor, blue in coming from track sensors, yellow convectors to Arduino pins. I use Arduino Nano V3. Blue cable is usb-cable to pc.
IMG_20200123_190645.jpg
IMG_20200123_190645.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 14367 times

I can provide you with a ready programmed Nano if you supply me with a unit and pay for postage if you are not familiar with that stuff.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
MagRacer

Re: Free lapcounting system.

Post by MagRacer »

Wow, looks good :-)
I finally got more space for a track, so when I have the base build, I will be interested. :-)
kiklo
Administrator

Re: Free lapcounting system. Schematics

Post by kiklo »

I think the original pic of the layout on the breadboard has been corrupted so I have posted this again. (All credit goes to Skalm.)
Attachments
MagLapSchematics.JPG
MagLapSchematics.JPG (13.65 KiB) Viewed 14356 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: Free lapcounting system. Schematics Explained

Post by kiklo »

Again cut and paste from the original post : http://magracingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=265

One important note about the diagram: I've used normal transistor symbols for the IR phototransistors since the program I used to draw it with didn't have the proper symbols. In reality the IR phototransistors only have two connectors ("legs") so the dangling wire in the diagram is not there. I hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.

Please also note that while I have three IR phototransistors in the diagram it is, as mentioned above, possible to attach as many as you'd like.

My sensor setup currently still only lives on a bread board, but I will make a more permanent solution Soon(tm) and post pictures of that as well.

And what about the Arduino code?
Well, it should be attached in a zip file, but I really don't want to go into details about it as I've rambled on for far too long already :)

I have added comment to the source code so it should be fairly readable, and it's also incredibly simple once you get down to it, so it should be usable as-is: upload it to an Arduino, attach the sensors (and +5V and GND) and see what happens :)
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: Free lapcounting system. PCB in its way, sort of.

Post by kiklo »

I finally took the time to design a PCB for the laptimer sensors. It will probably take a month before I have them due to circumstances i China.

BUT I decided to rethink, moving away from my present setup.

All components are now where the sensors are. Only wirering going to the Arduino.

One sensor-row for one lane is one unit and you just add a second sensor-row to be place adjacent to the 1st to take care of lane 2,3,...x.
Also making it easy to piggyback 5V+Gnd so you only have to run one par of power + signal for every lane to the A.

Being ca 8x3 cm wide with room for 16 sensors for each lane should even be usable for 1:24 scale track.

This will make it easier to use any Arduino and not having to fit it to a board.

Having the PCB designed it is even possible to order some with you as shipping address if you care to have.

You will only need 2x10K resistor, one 27K resistor and one BC547 and 5-16 IR-LED receivers 940nm for each lane.

Pictures will come.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Board-pic
Attachments
ID4u-Mag-sensor.JPG
ID4u-Mag-sensor.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 14282 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Ok, Sensors PCB have arrived. Found a few point to enhance: bigger solderpads, some extra holes for clamping cables etc.
But this is how it is for now:
IR-race-sensor1.jpg
IR-race-sensor1.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
IR-race-sensor2.jpg
IR-race-sensor2.jpg (70.43 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Before I mount them inlane I'm going to test if overhead sensor is an option. I made as small mount for one lane and will post the result.

Maybe putting the ir led in a helmet or any other suitable place.

Still waiting to get the in-car PCB's from China.
IMG_20200424_174554.jpg
IMG_20200424_174554.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 13528 times
IMG_20200424_174625.jpg
IMG_20200424_174625.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 13528 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Initial tests shows with 3 mm IR emitter a distance up to 40 mm is usable. With the original cars 10 mm works, not that running the original cars upside down is possible.

Makes me think this timing system could be used for other RC cars as well. Like Mini-Z etc.
Racing Regards

Kim K.