FREE TEST TRACK!

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Raudi1

FREE TEST TRACK!

Post by Raudi1 »

Working at Home Depot, I convinced store management to allow me to build a small test track as well as a new mag racing car for a promotional give away this Memorial Day. I'm providing the labor and they have provided the materials as well as a car. Unfortunately you need to be present to enter the drawing. But should you live in the Seattle, Washington area... And are curious about mag racing ..... Let's just say you should not miss it!

Besides allowing me a chance to try some track building ideas, it will give an opportunity to introduce magracing to others.

The track is to be built on a 4'x 8' sheet of plywood that will fold in half for transport. The track is about 80% complete and will post some photos and video soon. Despite being the size of a test track it is very challenging to drive as things happen very fast.

More info to follow soon. Shoot me an email if you need specifics on time and place.
Lasp

Re: FREE TEST TRACK!

Post by Lasp »

Vera Good initiativ !

One smart way too expand MR.
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

Hi Raudi,

Great idea! I wish I could stop in and give it a try.
Just a thought-if your demo track is kind of tight and tricky might that be too difficult for beginners?

I'm really looking forward to building a track but, like every recreational thing in my life, I'm having to accept the reality of delayed gratification. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
It's great that you guys, who are able to, work on the stuff (cars.tracks, etc) and post on a regular basis. It keeps the rest of us inspired and then when we do get that rare window of opportunity to build, we're not wasting our time or recreating the wheel.

I actually think this is pretty important to the success of magracing. Thanks, you guys, for taking time to post so the rest of us can race vicariously til we get our chance.

PDXBryan
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

I have to admit that after my first drive on the track my reaction was this is pretty mickey mouse. I believe this stemmed from already having a larger track where the cars speed can be better experienced, even if only for a brief moment. Obviously, this is nothing that can be changed in a small format.

However, after Kuipo joined me for an afternoon of racing we rediscovered that magracing is not so much about the speed as it is about the precision. Indeed there is a defined racing line that is the fast way round, and this requires steering twice per lap, or about once every 2-3 seconds, otherwise the car defaults to a slower line.This requires mental focus and can be quite a challenge to maintain. I believe that it is therefore a good illustration of what magracing is. A second side benefit is that the slower speeds limit much of the potential damage from noobies testing our cars.

A good example is the small bull ring built by Vintage 1/24. Although oval racing is not my particular interest, it still can be quite an entertaining workout keeping the car at the limit.

A bigger track offers potential for more variety of corners and more decisions per lap, but it is the pace of decision making cannot get much quicker, since it takes at least a second or so to determine whether the last input you made took. Just because you turned the wheel does not mean the car will always follow the wire. It is this pace that requires constant focus and readjustment that makes magracing so rewarding to do when you get it right.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Not set in stone but the woman and I might be able to make the trip. Still a bit early to tell.
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Wonderful! It would be great to meet you and discuss the details of your adjustable chassis.

We'll be at the Home Depot in Covington, Washington, from 9am-2pm on Saturday May 25, offering parents and "responsible" kids free test drives. Have at least 3 cars available and maybe a fourth if Wes gets our newest one shipped in time.

I'll also be discussing track construction since we sell everything but the wire and switch points to build your own. Hope you can make it.

Indeed if you do be sure to bring your cars, as we don't live far from the store and might be able to slip away and try out our big track.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

I will see if we can come up late Friday night and get a motel. Sound like fun.......
Will probably included a day of shopping for her..........
Will let you know tomorrow..
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Update....... Will be there late friday. See you saturday.

Joel
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Great Joel, will look forward to it.
Kuipo

Post by Kuipo »

Oo fun. Someone will be joining us. I'll be there helping demo and teach people. Will be fun to meet with some people.

I agree that while it is a short track and only has a few turns, it's not so few as to not be fun... and also enough to show the true potential that magracing brings. I agree with you Bryan, at first it looks like "meh, I can race that no problem" but after a few moments, you realize it's a little harder than you think, but not so challenging as to be a turn off. Once you see the pictures and a movie you'll get a better grasp of what makes the track fun to race on.