tiny first track

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
jgraham

tiny first track

Post by jgraham »

I decided to start small so I could learn how to drive the cars a bit and understand what might make a good larger track. I am using a 3' by 8' sheet of MDF and a contact adhesive (E6000) I can buy at a local store, using small nails to hold the wire while the glue dries. I am using all-purpose drywall compound to level the track, then sealing and painting it. My track diagram looks a bit strange, but it allowed me to play on the computer until I knew where to drill holes for drawing curves so everything would line up. The width of the painted track will be 200mm all around and the direction of travel is counter-clockwise. The end turns have an inside radius of 250mm and an outside radius of 350mm, with a racing line radius of 333mm. The curve in the middle has a radius of 250mm for both lanes and for the lane change. The main straight is 1.5m long. The wire spacing is 90mm on the main straight and more everywhere else. The only novel idea I am using is adding a short segment of wire beside each lane change to make it easier to level the surface (using the wire to support the spreading tool). My apologies to those who don't like the metric system. Any comments are welcome.
TrackDiagram.JPG
TrackDiagram.JPG (29.96 KiB) Viewed 15710 times
matt

Re: tiny first track

Post by matt »

Hi looks like a good little test track to me .
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

Here is a video of the current state of my track.

matt

Post by matt »

nice , works well by the look of it . How much space do you have for the big one , any plans yet ?
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

No plans yet for a larger track. I have a good spot for 12' x 4'.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Clewer! Thanks for charing.
matt

Post by matt »

I to have a 12 x 4 , maybe 5 at a push for later in the year , ive been quite happy with the amount ive squeased into 8x4 and its so cheap to add to .
look forward to your plans .
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

Here is the finished track.
After a few racing sessions, I decided to add some foam tape on the end walls to help when our driving skills fail to keep the cars on the track. These cars are great fun, even on a tiny track. We often start two cars on opposite sides of the track and have a pursuit race. The first car to catch the other car wins. For now, we continue to use electrical tape on the rear tires.
track.JPG
track.JPG (94.61 KiB) Viewed 15572 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Nice and clean.
Good dessicion to make the Wall a bit softer.
People should feel unfear racing MagCars.