Finally getting started

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Ned

Re: Finally getting started

Post by Ned »

Looks like your track and car are working very well together. Good job.
How did you embed the wire in the XPS?

Recently learned that Wes took down his website and is out of new cars. Keld indicated that he plans to keep up the MagRacing Forum which is very good news. There are a lot of used magracing cars out there, a potential source for cars and parts. Also, Wes has some spare parts for sale.
Smittoh

Post by Smittoh »

Thanks Ned!
I followed your advice and ordered one of the tiny routing bits for sale on eBay.I think the set of 4 were around 10 dollars. They worked great! I noticed that one time the bit got hot and melted the XPS resulting in a wider route than anticipated. I'm sure it was over 100 F in the garage and wasn't overly surprised. I'm guessing most people will never come across such temperature issues. :lol:

Glad to hear the forum will remain!!!
Bummed to hear about Wes but totally understand. It's such a difficult market not to mention the energy it takes for the consumer to build a track...

That however...is what totally drew me to this system and for me is one of the best parts!!! You really have to think and design. Because I chose to add 1/4" plywood for support I had to add a layer of foam so the cars could cross over. XPS was only available at a min. 1/2" thickness so I had to form and shape the foam making ramps. I'm sure this messed a little with the magnetic force and you have to drive a little slower in some areas but that's part of the challenge and so different than slot cars(not that I'm against them)
magracing is super fun and I love that my track has imperfections just like roads in the real world. The beauty of the XPS is that you can sand away in areas where the wire is a little deep to compensate. It's also very light and my modular track takes me about 10 minutes to put together and maybe 3 to take apart and stand up along the garage wall. I went with Velcro straps much better than original clamp idea.

I will probably wait till summer is over to start up work again. 100+ temperatures aren't the most fun working conditions.

people have mentioned 3d printing cars... Is anyone working on future radio/receiver alternatives for replacements?

Thanks again for all the support!
Cheers!
K
Kiko-smith
Ned

Post by Ned »

Boy it has been hot here in Sedona...many days over 100...very unusual. Too hot to make more track. I'll start up again in about 8 weeks.

Cleaning and lubricating the router bit very frequently with silicone spray or equivalent will reduce the melting of the XPS. Also, use the slowest speed available on your router. 5000 RPM should be fast enough unless you move the bit through the XPS very quickly.

I have designed 3 different chassis using 3D modeling software. Each is slightly different. I had them printed by Shapeways in NYC. I have fitted all of them to 1/32 slot car bodies as you can see below.

Three or four people scattered all over the globe have been working on a car using an Arduino chip. See
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... opic=77829