BRW 2 in progress.

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
kiklo
Administrator

BRW 2 in progress.

Post by kiklo »

An early shot of upcoming track.
Attachments
DSC_1935.JPG
DSC_1935.JPG (91.07 KiB) Viewed 20569 times
DSC_1934.JPG
DSC_1934.JPG (90.96 KiB) Viewed 20569 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Re: BRW 2 in progress.

Post by Ned »

Looking good. :thumpup Nice collection of straights and curves.

Keep in mind that the bottom of the guide magnet of a car clears the top of the wire embedded in the track by about .005" (.13mm) ideally. When the magnet in the guide arm is above the wire embedded in the track, the force between the magnet and the wire pulls the magnet and guide arm closer to the wire. The leading edge of the guide arm holding the magnet is slightly in front of the wheels. Consequently, if at a seam in the track, one section of track is more than approximately .040" higher than the other, the car won't climb up over that higher track edge without often losing the wire and crashing. Dropping down to a lower section of track usually is not a problem, unless it is on a tight corner.

If you want to run clockwise as well as counter-clockwise on your track, make every effort to minimize any vertical changes in elevation at the track seams (joints). In general, misalignment of the guide wires is much more problematic when it occurs in corners. When building track, I never locate a joint in a tight corner.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

The misalignment of the 2 sections has been taken care of. Parts are now bolted together and I have plastered the joints (and all the old slotcar-slots.).
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: BRW 2 in progress. Routing almost done.

Post by kiklo »

Getting closer, just a few meter with straits to do.
Attachments
DSC_1952.JPG
DSC_1952.JPG (43.39 KiB) Viewed 20549 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
BriG

Post by BriG »

Hi Kim K.

Track looks great. I notice you have the racing line going through the turn starting at the outside, crossing over two straight lines to the inside, then crossing back over the lines going out of the turn back to the outside. It seems to me that's how it should be done. Good job.

I was having thoughts about the track I hope to eventually make. I was thinking of laying out the track outline, and then laying out the racing line within the track and have that be the preferred route to take, not just an inside, outside, or middle lane. If you go watch a race, everyone pretty much chooses to stay on that racing line on a road course to make the fastest lap. Drivers will evaluate their car compared to the competition and as they run they will find out where their car is better than the one in front and take the opportunity to make the pass when the time is right. If all cars and drivers were equal in every way, they would all run in a single line on that racing line all the way around the track. My thought is to keep the cars on that racing line by default, and make the move to pass where the opportunity is the best. In providing a preferred racing line for all cars it would allow them to make the best laps they can without having to steer left or right to choose that line on every lap. I'm pretty sure it would save the battery for more run time, and it would make it easier to negotiate the track with just throttle, the only time the steering would be needed would be to make a move to pass or to pit. If there are two or three "lanes" with options to turn to choose the racing line through the turns, I just seems it would be a lot harder to drive the car, staying really busy to know when to steer to stay on the racing line. If someone wants to make a pass, he needs to earn it.

Just my crazy thoughts.

Anyway, nice job. Can't wait to see videos of the action when it's finished.

Brian
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

BriG wrote:
I notice you have the racing line going through the turn starting at the outside, crossing over two straight lines to the inside, then crossing back over the lines going out of the turn back to the outside. It seems to me that's how it should be done.

Brian

Exactly, but I tried that once, but the problem was if a car not taking the racing line has to much speed out of the corner, then this car can change lane at the crossing point, but only sometimes.

This is a critical point for wirering the track correct, keep us informed about the progress. :yes
/Keld
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Getting closer, track surface painted.
Attachments
DSC_1963.JPG
DSC_1963.JPG (46.77 KiB) Viewed 20518 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: BRW 2 in progress. Test ready

Post by kiklo »

Racing Regards

Kim K.
BriG

Post by BriG »

Kim K.

Looks like everything is working as planned. Good job!

Just curious, what are the dimensions of the layout.

Be sure to post when you get a good race going.

Brian
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi.
The board is 500*180 cm. I think the track is 20 m long. At the moment I am using getting closer to 13 seconds on a good lap.
Racing Regards

Kim K.