BRW 2 testing 'lane crossings'

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
kiklo
Administrator

BRW 2 testing 'lane crossings'

Post by kiklo »

Have an idea of crossing lanes. Anyone with some experience ?

se pic. Lane 1 is to be racing line crossing line 2 making a cut in 2 just to let 'run through' or do I have to have a gap in the piano-wire ?

I can see I need to find out if it is going to work before I go ahead on the new track.

Possibly find out : will only strait section work on the cut lane or will curves work as well.

At what angel can they cross ?

Anyone have something to share?
Attachments
DSC_1938.JPG
DSC_1938.JPG (81.66 KiB) Viewed 11253 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: BRW 2 testing 'lane crossings' tested successfully video

Post by kiklo »

Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: BRW 2 testing 'lane crossings'

Post by kiklo »

Just tested with my Dremel jig to get the right cutting dept. Working nicely.
Attachments
DSC_1942.JPG
DSC_1942.JPG (73.35 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
DSC_1941.JPG
DSC_1941.JPG (84.32 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Re: BRW 2 testing 'lane crossings'

Post by Ned »

The piano wires can cross each other but of course not go over top of each other. The minimum angle is partly dependent on whether or not the front wheels are oscillating left and right (shimmying) when they are over the point of crossing. It is also dependent on whether or not the rear wheels are following right behind the front wheels, in other words, skidding laterally. Of course speed is a factor also.

I have 2 X crossovers in my track between 2 parallel straight lanes whereby cars can change to the other lane. There is 6" of straight wire on each side of the point where they cross. The angle formed where they cross is about 25 degrees. The wires do not touch each other where they cross. The crossovers work reliably at any speed.

I have one spot on my track where 2 "lanes" merge into 1. At the point where the piano wires come together, the wires touch each other and form an angle of 5 degrees. It works reliably at any speed.

In your case I suggest that you cut the wire that has the larger radius (is closest to being straight). I would leave a gap in this wire such that the distance from the ends of the cut wire to the side of the uncut crossing wire is 1mm. I suspect that this will work pretty well as long as the angle formed by the crossing wires is at least 12 degrees and the radius of both curves is at least 12".

In your test video, what is the angle formed by the wires? What is the radius of the curves?

Please let us know what works and what doesn't.