Racefun track 2 - Forrest Jump

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Keld
Administrator

Racefun track 2 - Forrest Jump

Post by Keld »

So we started building for track 2, called Forrest Jump :lol:

It's a small track only 732 x 244 cm. (24' x 8') :shock:

The first 3 plates from left are marked up and yesterday Andreas (19) used a Dremel for the first time routing the lanes in the 'Karrussel'

the corners are drawn with a pencil tied to a nail, with a string.
track6parts.png
track6parts.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 18373 times
2 straights and 2 pit lanes, if we are 16 it will be impossible to stay on the same side of the track, so we has to learn the track from both sides, since we will make a rotation for driver positions.
The racing is clockwise, so after the bottom straight (starting straight) there is right corner before we arrive to 'the Karrussel' a big left 210° corner with 3 lanes, the inner lane is raised.
After this there a a lane change for the pit lane and then a right turn to the jumping straight, 3 jumps on the 6 meter long straight, hope to see some cars leaving the track here.
at the end a 110° right under the bridge bringing the track under level having a chicane and 180° left before a little level raise, a 90° left and then up hill at the Rehal Straight, small right turn on the top and then the Cork Screw, down it goes right left and some flat curves before we coming back to the starting straight. 5 meter and something long.

Think it will be about 35 meter long (over 100')

The top and right side of the track is pretty jumpy and technical, the rest is flat and high speed. I hope this track will be good, racing lines will come after we have the track in full size.
/Keld
Lasp

Re: Racefun track 2 - Forrest Jump

Post by Lasp »

Haha If you call this a small track 732 x 244 cm. Then I realy looking forward to yor big one!

But I like the feeling of the track, some like ROC. But with MAGcars isnt a need for a ROC track ?

I belive that , for the beginning, a MAGtrack should bee wide and have som long pieces just for the speed.

I havent got my car yet, but howe are the breaking effects on MAGcar?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Lasp wrote: I havent got my car yet, but howe are the breaking effects on MAGcar?
The brake effect is very low compared to slot.
but after race with this for 10 min. you find out that the brake effect is correct, I think that slotcar s are braking too fast.

In formula one where they have the best brakes they are still braking 100 m. before a corner, in 1/32 this is 3 meters, think about that.
after racing with MAGracing for 3 weeks now I like it more and more. it is much more realistic in speed and handling, to much speed and the car spin and making fish tale down the straight. I love it.
/Keld
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Thanks
A good answer.
But you understand that there is still lot of questions ;-)

You mean 3 meters representing in 1:1 scale ?

In the carousell is it default to the middle lane? Or ist that one that could be shosen!
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

there are 2 lanes coming up to the karrussel:

the right are default the outer lane, can change to the middle lan

the left lane is default the middle and can change to the raised inner circle.

Yes 3 meter, so I think its OK you has to brake 75 cm before a sharp corner, after learning that it work pretty well
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Forrest Jump, the first jump is on the way 8-)

Next week we are going to Germany for a very big slotcar event, the building of the slotcars in 1/24 has taken all our time for the last 3 weeks, but now they are ready so we can continue Magracing project.

The jump or the first of the three jumps on the straight has taken form.
total length 120 cm, that 60 cm. from start to the top 10 cm. over level, there are no problem for the car to go up, even with a stop on the way up, their is power enough to start again, just take care and don't give full throttle, or it will end in wheel spin.

/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

section 1 from the upper left corner is almost ready, still missing the single lane from the inside of the Karrussel.
pitlanefeb2013.jpg
pitlanefeb2013.jpg (175.38 KiB) Viewed 18167 times
The pitlane, there is a pit entry for each 60 cm. that give 40 cm. to drive in, 20 cm. to park and 40 cm. to drive out.
the X is made with the wires all touch each other, NO problems.

the length is total 100 cm (60 between each driver) so that give a lot of room to park in front of each driver and make your battery change and still not make chicane to the other drivers. there will be 8 pits on each side of the track, leaving a parking place for each car, so no reason to stop in front of another car again.

We just tested the lane change slow and with speed on, no problem if the cars magnet is adjusted correct.
The feeling going over the bridge is great, looking forward to the next 2 and to see if we can get the cars to jump.

the video start from leaving the karussel, driving past the pitlane entry and going down the 6.5 meter straight with 3 jumps.

ups. just leave a sheet of paper on the track, but this is Magracing so we just drive over it :yes
you can't do that with a slotcar :rolf :rolf

Pitlane:
lane change only done by wires :think

/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

My son shot this video, to show one car (Alfa) passing from right lane to left, and in to the pit ...
another car (Ferrari) just go straight without lanechange

We will soon make a experiment with magnetic paint, to paint the pitlane with it, just to see if we can slow down cars with it.
/Keld
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

Nice elevation changes!

How will the magnetic paint slow the cars down?

JSS
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

maxmercy wrote:Nice elevation changes!

How will the magnetic paint slow the cars down?

JSS
We don't know if it works, but the cars are hold back from the magnet when it going over the wire, if you have 2 wires there will be more magnetic force to hold the car back, so we guess that magnetic paint will slow it down too.
/Keld