racefun test track 1 dec. 19. 2012

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Keld
Administrator

racefun test track 1 dec. 19. 2012

Post by Keld »

Today at 6 pm Kasper and I meet in the club with the goal to design the 1. test track and learn about building a track.

4 hours later we tested a car on the track, 2 pcs. 6 mm MDF 244 x 122 cm. giving us nearly 5 m. of straight, a 2-3 lane track with a pit, several corners with racing line and 4 lane change point.

We choose to route down the wire, not using a normal router, since its to difficult to handle, instead we use a dremel mini saw

glued a 6 mm wood plate to the bottom, so only 1,3 mm of the disc is visible, that gives the perfect deep of the slot, and to cut with this forward rotating tool is so easy that I could do it free hand.
minisaw.jpg
minisaw.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 22546 times
The slot is perfect, the wire can be put in the slot without glue and are laying in level with the surface, but to handle many days of racing we will glue the wire in the slot.
wireinwood.jpg
wireinwood.jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 22546 times
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Re: racefun test track 1 dec. 19. 2012

Post by Keld »

after 3 hours of work for 2 men, we reached this point:

alone today, clean up the slot and glued the wire except for the pitlane.

the track was tested, with a lot of dust on but it worked great anyway

/Keld
Dollas

Post by Dollas »

Det ser sgu fint ud Keld, glæder mig til at prøve det!

Code: Select all

Casper please keep it in English.  ;) 
translated:
Looking good Keld, looking forward to test it
WesR

Post by WesR »

Great effort lads, pleased to see you are building a test track first. There is much to learn and we are pioneering
here! But it's all good fun! You could perhaps make the lane changes longer so they can be taken faster. We would normally spread one over at least 60cm. Now you have to try the racing lines for the corners. This is the most important aspect of the system!
I look forward to your next video.
Please persevere with the system without making too many changes. The cars have a little more grip with
the bodies fitted I think and with pvc tape on the tyres and a clean and painted track, you will find them fast
but needing skill to drive.
Well done! WesR
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Day 3, 4 more hours spent total 14

The Pit lane was wired, 9 pit stops was made, but test later show they are too short :cry: but again this is a test track, we just change it later.

I removed the clue on the track with sandpaper, and cleaned it.

Now the car run much better.

I marked up transmitters and cars with numbers so it will be easy to find a pair to race with, we have 8 set to the test track.
and controlled that all cars could run with the body fitted, some minor adjustment was made to the bodies, so now they are ready for painting.

@WesR: Yes some of the lane changes are short, It was a test to see if we make a starting grid some of the cars can change lane at once, using the 3. lane we have on the starting grid, it works fine at the start, but you are right they can't be taken with high speed.
btw I take notice of all test and plan to make one more test track on the backside ;)
Attachments
pitlane.jpg
pitlane.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 22546 times
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Nothing news about the track, I didn't find time to paint it yet, had to finish 8 cars for the club test race.

and we had fun, everybody had fun, but what a mess, nobody tried it before this video was taken, somebody doesn't even know what to do, but they had fun.

Yes we has to paint the track to get traction.

Yes there are to tight corners, and the chicane on the straight is not OK

Pit lane has be be much bigger, 50 cm for each car is a minimum if the drivers should park their car put down the controller change battery on the car and then drive again without making problem for the other drivers.
/Keld
gregba

Post by gregba »

Thanks for sharing your testing, looked like a lot of fun! :-)

Love the fact I will be able to run more than 6 cars, so much fun!!!

All the best!

Greg
View my Who are you? forum page here...
http://www.magracingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Looking good. Learned a bunch and I have not even started routed...... I mean cutting. Will be getting the attachment saw for my dremel this week. Brilliant.....
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

one more, sorry for the quality, had to fix a car while trying to hold the iPhone

on the straight i tried to make some lane changes, so we could make a lane change right after the start, if the cars in front of you are to slow etc.
but they are to short, a lane change has to go over 40 cm or more, longer is better, when you are driving fast is has to be very long if you don't want to spin, like we do in the chicane.

The corner closet to the cameraman (me) the inside lane is 20 cm radius and that's the lowest we can do.

The first chicane in the left side where there are racing line, the left turn in the middle is 18 cm. and it is to small, we has to go very slow there, almost parking and that's not good in a racetrack. we can use that radius in the pit area where we go slow.

Next project is to try some bigger piano wires, I have some pieces in different sizes, the test is only to se if we can slow cars down in the pit area, I think a bigger wire are useful in the pit.
or maybe a double wire can do it, let try try try try try :lol:
/Keld
gregba

Post by gregba »

A pic of my future MAGracing track building tool kit! :-)

View my Who are you? forum page here...
http://www.magracingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39