My 1965 Chaparral 2C

Show us your cars
Ned

My 1965 Chaparral 2C

Post by Ned »

Here are a few pictures of my 1965 Chaparral 2C. I bought the body from Lasp when I bought 4 used magracers and transmitter/controllers from him about a year ago. When the body arrived, I didn’t think I’d be able to use it because it’s so small. I believe the body is from a MRRC slot car.

Since no wheels came with the body I used stock wheels wrapped with a thin rubber “tire” cut from the fingers of rubber gloves. The width of the wheels was not changed.

The rollbar was made from a paper clip.

The body by itself weighs 20 grams. The entire car with the battery weighs 70 grams.

The white plastic chassis parts I designed using 3D modeling software. They are all different from stock parts and were printed by Shapeways.

Number 2 self tapping screws are used to attach the lower and upper suspension plates to the chassis frame, instead of machine screws and nuts. Instead of using nuts which are .060” thick between the lower suspension plate and the chassis frame, a .040” thick spacer is used. This has the effect of increasing the clearance by .020” between the bottom of the frame and the track surface under the front axle.

Instead of attaching the machine screw to the guide arm using a nut which is .060” thick, I’ve glued the machine screw to the guide arm and replaced the nut with a spacer .040” thick. This provides more clearance between the track and the head of the screw used to attach the guide arm to the suspension plates. The lack of clearance for this screw head has been a problem in the past.

As you can see in the photo below, this car is much narrower than a stock magracer.

Also there is much less room under the body for the receiver board (PCB) and the steering coil. As you can see in the photo below, the red wire that connects the receiver board to the + end of the battery is connected inside the battery box. The black wire that connects the receiver board to the - battery terminal is connected on the side of the battery box instead of on top. There is no battery box top or bottom.
Three small magnets are used to hold the body to the chassis. One magnet is glued under the front of the body and 2 are glued to the posts on the motor pod just behind the rear axle.

Instead of a bumper attached to the chassis frame, I’ve glued a piece of white plastic just in front of the small magnet which is glued to the underside of the body in front of the air intake. The screw in the front/center of the upper suspension plate adheres to this magnet. The piece of white plastic prevents the screw, and thus the chassis, from sliding forward relative to the body, upon a frontal impact during a crash. This chassis with or without the body, exhibits no front end shimmy.

More info about the chassis can be seen at
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=553&start=30

I have a few more modifications to make the chassis narrower, thinner, and easier to assemble. When finished I’ll make the chassis available to everyone on Shapeways.com .