SCR Track Concept

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
SlotCarRental_com

SCR Track Concept

Post by SlotCarRental_com »

I would obviously start out with something smaller, to try the cars, etc... but this is close to what I hope to work up to.
The pit lane is obviously overkill, but I was curious what could fit in there, and wanted some "fun" paths to run through and around the garages, that would be under the one straightaway.
I am still trying out different lines and curves...
The lower section shows an idea to "right" cars that are going the wrong way...

I hope to make the track lightweight and portable, and I have a few ideas I am going to experiment with to do it.

I likely will need the cash for something else, and not build it, but if I do the track will be in Michigan, USA.
Raudi1

Re: SCR Track Concept

Post by Raudi1 »

Like the layout very much.... Are you looking at it as a club circuit or a possible business?
SlotCarRental_com

Even though Wes recommends against using a Mag Racing track as a business/rental/party/pay to play track... I am thinking of trying it anyway... but not completely sold on the idea if I want to dive into it or not. So just tossing some ideas around on my AutoCAD screen.

Cars will need to be slowed down, and traction maximized, likely to the point of no sliding...
Yes that may make easy to the point of being boring, however this is what I have done to my SCX Digital track, and it works great for events.
The players do not feel the boring part until they have raced for a good 45 minutes, and usually most people are only at the track for 1 to 10, 2 or 3 minute races before the line cycles to the next person in line.

I have tried to make all the curves, so you turn with the curve to use the line, or change lanes, only a few places do you turn the "other way"....

And if there are enough people in the area to do club racing, then I will do that too... but obviously with normal cars ;)
I have a few public places I can setup my tracks at, one is an indoor kart track (see Kart2Kart.com), the other is $600~$1000 a month in a super market.

If both fail, I will just ebay it... hopefully for profit to pay for the time that will be involved in its creation.

I've been working on changing the lines a little, and to get it to fit in one of my repeat clients spaces on an angle with out blocking their entrance, I will have to mirror the whole layout.

I REALY want to setup the pit lanes so they are rechargers for capacitors, which is what I would use inside the cars instead of batteries, but I will save that for a future upgrade. (there are a few posts on here about capacitor tech)
SlotCarRental_com

Mirrored to better fit a repeat clients space.
Lines and curves improved after I discovered that I can indeed make the lines cross over.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Bravo! Its seen to be challenging! Lot of decisions to take.
Please give us little mor information, lenght, number of cars in a race and some detaljs that I dint now.
Wath kind of tools for drawing?

Good luck from Lasp
SlotCarRental_com

The "tables" are going to be standard 4x8 sheets, however I intend to use pink insulation foam instead of wood. The roadway will be coated with, or something similar to, StyroPlast, which is a glue like substance that creates a hard but somewhat flexible coating over foam sculptures to make them more durable for store signs etc. This will all be done in experimental stages to see if it will even work... if it does work, the result will be a very light weight and portable track. The foam will also allow me to "route" a slot for the magnet free hand or with a straight edge, using nothing but a razor blade! Which could even be mounted in various tools for making perfect circles.

Because I wanted to allow the option to go to larger scale vehicles in the future, I drew it up with a WIDE 10" between the white lines that will mark the outer edge of the roadway.
The blue boxes showing "cars" are actually the size of a 1:28 scale Ferrari I have on my desk (a Mini-Z Body), so the Mag cars will be slightly smaller then the blue boxes.

Number of cars I will run, I guess that depends on the drivers... maybe 6 to 10 for events, and all 16!!! just to see it happen.
I will need to have 18 to 32 cars on hand at events, depending on how many I run, so there is always a spare ready to go incase someone trashes a car in a head on collision or something... another reason they will need to be slowed.

I used Autodesk AutoCAD 2014, just the 30 day downloadable demo though... once it expires I will have to go back to using my old copy on my old PC (AutoCAD 2000).
I intend to purchase a new copy of AutoCAD however the version like my older 2000 version, which allows the use of 3D solids, is $4,000........... do not really want to pay that much, unless I get another job running it like I use to way back when...
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I think this track is very interesting, some good ideas shown. :yes

I don't think lane change in a curve is possible

but I really like it and will spend some time looking at it and steel the best ;)
/Keld
SlotCarRental_com

Even when I am happy with something, I cannot help but redesign it...
So this is a possible "larger" version.

I think the cars could change lanes in a curve, it would just take a lot of fussing with it...

I try to make them change to the inside, since changing lanes away from a curve, may cause the wrong line to be the "Default" path due to inertia.

It seemed to large, so I took an inch out of the space between the wire in each lane.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

what is the idea with the pit on the inside?
fore battery change it would be better on the outside, then the driver will not reach over the track to catch his car, and not blocking the view fore the other drivers.

have you tryed the lane change in corners, I did and the car will always choose the outer lane
/Keld
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Its OK with pitstop on the inside if you count with Capasitors loading instead of battery change!
But wee have to wait a while for that, Lasp belive!