SCR Track Concept

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
SlotCarRental_com

Re: SCR Track Concept

Post by SlotCarRental_com »

If I manage to get it working as a special event and pay-to-play type of track, I will be standing in the middle doing battery changes and marshaling, while everyone else along the outside of the table races. If it is used as a "club" track, the pit lane is still in the middle, so it is reachable from both sides.

Although, now that I look at it, the height of the track over the pit garage may interfere with me reaching the cars... oh well they can drive all the way around if need be. :)
It is unlikely the cars will need a battery change during any of the event races anyway, since I usually have to do races that are no more than 2 to 5 minutes to push the line through at busy events. And even not so busy events, would only be 5 to 10 minute races... so I would just change the batteries as needed in between races.

Racing for a few minutes then getting everyone ready for the next race, should allow each charge to last up to and likely over an hour.
The capacitors should would help cut down on my battery swapping! And maybe capacitor chargers will be available by the time I actually build the track. :)

Cars taking outside lane....

Even if driver is giving steering input?
Even on large radius turns?
WesR

Post by WesR »

I wish you every success but, in case you go ahead, I can assure you that cars will not lane change on a curve. (Nor will digital slot cars if I remember correctly or at least the sensors need to be in a straight) To be safe you need probably 9" (25cms) of straight so that the car is running straight before the l/c.
Re capacitors, we have looked into this and, even with the latest 'super capacitors', you are unlikely
to get more than 4 or 5 laps before a recharge. Unless you towed a big capacitor behind the cars
on a trailer!
Regards from Magracing
SlotCarRental_com

Wes,

Does it have to be 100% straight, or can there be a bit of a bow in the straight? like a really large radius curve? like 6 foot or more.
I noticed one of the recent photos you posted had the split of the lanes in a curve, although I think that area of your track is meant to run in the other direction, and you just showed the cars backwards in the photo.

Is the car incapable of turning while in a curve, or is it just centrifugal force?
What if the car is going slow, or at a crawl?

Are you willing to post sketches/photos of other methods of lane changes that did not work?
It seems likely that you started off without the plates, and went through many types of lane change points.
I just have a few ideas I intend to try... that will mostly be used in off-track areas, but if they work well enough I may put them in the track, for slow-change areas.

I am determined to find a way to change in the corners !! :)
Rcjohny

Post by Rcjohny »

You can probably change from inside to outside ok
WesR

Post by WesR »

The strength of the steering actuator coil is, of necessity, not great. Otherwise it would override
the guide wire magnet and the car would turn off the track as soon as the steering was operated.
If the car is in a turn, the centrifugal force will be too much for the steering coil to overcome.
Real cars, when cornering on the limit, cannot suddenly turn in to a tighter radius so personally I
dont see the need for this.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

WesR wrote: Real cars, when cornering on the limit, cannot suddenly turn in to a tighter radius so personally I
dont see the need for this.
U R absolute right here, it is not normal to make lane change i a curve

it could be possible if you a driving very very slow, etc. inside the pit area, but on the track racing -no way
/Keld
SlotCarRental_com

In some cases such in-curve lane changes would be to change to an outer line as well...
But I also want areas were the car wont take, incase I want to have a secret area that is difficult to access for silly short cuts and stuff...

This is another redesign of the lanes, to remove any in-curve changers... which resulted in me getting a bit carried away, and almost making a whole separate 3rd line for the racing line...

I tried to keep the vast majority of the racing line so the steering input was WITH the curve, just before you entered the curve.
In the areas were a third lane exists for the racing line, it is designed to spit you out, if you stop turning with the curves...

The standard or emergency lane changes were mostly kept in the straights, or against the curve.

There are more lines then needed, just drew all I could and likely more... and will decide what to keep if I ever actually build it.
Ned

Post by Ned »

What computer program do you use to create your circuits?
Is it hard to learn?
Hard to use?
SlotCarRental_com

I needed to make the track a little bit more narrow then previous versions, so I have been redoing my track ideas.
And the forum has been slow... so figured I would post this.

The previous versions were done in an old copy of AutoCAD 2000 I use to have (as I said in previous posts), this is about a $1000-4000 program depending what options you get.
However this new version I am working on is being done in Rhino 3D, which I use at work, so I got myself a $150 student copy for home use.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Looking good. Very clean lines...