'Routing the Keld method' (Dremel saw)

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Keld
Administrator

'Routing the Keld method' (Dremel saw)

Post by Keld »

From Slotcar I know how to route a slot, but this small 0,7 mm. / 22 swg. wire don't need a slot, it will disappear :lol: So how can it be done, I am not the type using card and plaster the track, I have to fill out.....
The wood is the right surface to drive on just need a little paint, so I took a look at the Faller routing tool, its a little expensive for a test, and how fast does it go? in 1/87 car system the tracks are small so maybe it is to slow, never fund out.
I discovered by chance that Dremel are making this little saw to their machine, I already have a Dremel, so that is a little investment to do.

Then i properly can made a tool that can adjust the height, that was my thought.

The tool arrived 2 days later, and I started looking for some stuff I could use, I think 2 thin plates on top of each other and put it together with screws then I can adjust the height with small spacers, I have some in 0,13 mm. to my slotcar.

I didn't find these thin plates but a piece of wood 6 mm thick, I took the new Dremel saw and cut it out to fit the bottom of the saw, then drilled out a hole and glued it on. so only 1,3 mm of the disc is visible, that gives the perfect deep of the slot.
minisaw.jpg
minisaw.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 47816 times
to route with a Dremel saw is so easy, that all I has to do is draw a line with a pencil, turn on the Dremel and cut the slot in freehand, absolute no need for any tool to help for a straight line, the Dremel never try to go sideways, only forward, but since the slot is only 1,3 mm deep there are no traction in the saw, you can hold it with one hand.
dremsaw.jpg
dremsaw.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 47816 times
The slot is perfect not 1,3 mm wide but 0,7 mm so the piano wire bought from MAGracing is fitting perfect, in fact, doing the test there was no need for gluing the wire. off course when making a track always glue the wire and if you using too much glue you must use a tool to get the wire down and sand of the glue not used.
a piece of wood a little hammer and a sand paper is the other tools I use laying the wire.
wireinwood.jpg
wireinwood.jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 47816 times
Even that there are almost no dust using this saw, you must vacuum the track before you glue .

On the video you can see how much dust their are :lol:
(the camera/iPhone was standing on the table, sorry the jumping ;)
/Keld
Joel, LeNoir

Re: 'Routing the Keld method' (Dremel saw)

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Very cool. Getting one tomorrow. Yep, yep.....
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

I may have come up with that term - good to see you using it... "The Keld Method".

I *really feel* this is the way to go. I simply glued a piece of 1/4" MDF board (what I was using to make the test track anyhow) to the bottom of the cutoff saw and the depth was perfect. I simply pushed the wire in place with a metal putty knife - super easy - one easy motion. I didn't even draw the lines that well - I find the saw is easy to maneuver and I can always make more cuts - filling a tiny "score" or groove is also no problem.

Simple Tools - The Keld Method in America –
Image]

After I am happy with the position of the "lanes" - I just used carpenter's glue (that yellow Elmer's kind of stuff) in the groove - then push the wire in with the metal putty knife and wipe the excess off with a damp cloth. Done. Very easy. I really made the track in an afternoon - enough to run on anyhow. I added paint and a little walls another day.

I picked up my Dremel cutoff saw accessory at Home Depot right off the rack for $25-30, and since I had a Dremel motor already I went right to work.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Of all of the methods that I have seen thus far, this certainly looks like the best method of the bunch from building up the surface with card stock or plaster, or cutting the groove with a router. I especially like how the wire snaps into the groove and using only wood glue to seal the deal.

Mike
oldslotracer

Post by oldslotracer »

I looked at the Dremel Saw attachment at Home Depot here in Vancouver and it was $49.95!

So I bought myself a Makita trim router instead ($89). I'm just not comfortable with cutting things freehand
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I found one here for $14.90 http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/dremel- ... QgodtWIAMA

The total came to under $23 shipped. I went out on a limb to buy one this morning. Heck, If I can use carpenter's glue as the adhesive, the lower cost of glue alone will pay for this tool on the full sized first track.

Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Its cheap, but sold out Mike, I found it at Amazons @ $ 21.81 right now, unfortunatly I paid around 40 wheni bought it. but its all the mony worth.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-670-Mini-S ... B00008Z9ZP

Vintage 1/24 yes it's your term :D
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Maybe I got the last one then. They sent me a reply with confirmation on my order so I expect it to be here in a reasonable amount of time.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Got mine today $32.00... Getting closer.

Oh and 6 sheets of MDF....
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Joel, LeNoir wrote:Got mine today $32.00... Getting closer.

Oh and 6 sheets of MDF....
Six sheets? :shock: This man means business :mrgreen: