1/24 Chassis Idea

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Raudi1

Re: 1/24 Chassis Idea

Post by Raudi1 »

Nice! Very ambitious project mike. I too love the scarab, tipo 61, testa rosa bodies. However without a commercial track nearby to run on I'll have to stick with 1/32nd as 1/24 requires way to much space.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

One of the reasons I chose this genre in 1/24 is that it isn't very large. For instance, here is my 1/24 Birdcage next to a 1/24 Nascar.
I could have used 1/32 Nascar as my medium, in fact I set up a Scalextric Nascar chassis to Nascar but abandoned it because but my heart is set on sports cars for my magsteer hobby.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Mike
:yes Very nice WOOD frame and guess the Brits had it right with plywood AC in WW2.

I am glueing the master models together to prepare for final molding, photos to follow.

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Thanks Chris. And let us not forget the wood chassis 1/1 Marcos. But this being a Maserati, it is Italian.

I saw a HUGE typo in my last post which I cannot correct.
The Nascar in the photo is 1/32 not 1/24. That makes a lot of difference to my comparison.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello... Why are you so set on 1/24? They take so much more space to run them. There is more than enough room in a 1/32 chassis to place all of the electronics. Maybe I missed the reasoning in a previous post.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I don't know why Mike are, but I can tell that from 1974 - 2003 I was driving slotcars 1/32
in 2003 I tried 1/24 and 6 months later I drove the 1/32 for the last time, Yes I tried them since but no way, slotcars is only 1/24 for me, the difference is to big.

My first thoughts when I read about Magracing a year or more ago was also, nice I can make that in my 1/24
And the first bought was also with that in mind, but after trying Magracing I will stay with 1/32 for now.
I will learn this system and try out all aspect in it as it is, not changing anything, using the cars Wes are providing and only use tape on the wheels, I found that the race feeling is perfect, the handling of the cars is very very good and there are absolute no need for trying making a new scale, doing that you has to consider and try another wire size, another Magnet, another motor, more battery power etc. etc. since the weight of 1/24 is much higher.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

For me it is more about the building of things and less about the driving. I will keep two original cars from Wes for playing with my friends who are also playing with magsteer cars. But they are in the next town south. They live about 50 KM away so I don't get there as often as I would like. Yesterday I worked on building front spindles using copper tubing and parts from model RC airplanes. When I get a pair built that I am satisfied with, I will post more pictures. I am in no hurry. This project is mixed between a number of slot car projects that I am doing also.
Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Hi Joel,
I didn't see your post until after I wrote my last reply. I am not set on 1/24. I simply chose 1/24 for this car because it is very small for 1/24. If this car works out, I can see building one other running mate which will likely be the end of 1/24. In 1/32, the same car is pretty small. Here is a comparison to Wes's car.
This particular body is made of fiberglass. If I use an alternative battery This car may be possible at a later date in 1/32 but not for now.

As I already mentioned in my last post. I will keep two of Wes's cars to race with my local friends. One for me and one for a guest. My local guys already have their own cars so we have a total of four cars here in NW California. I don't see any more that are needed around here unless we find some converts. I don't need any more of the same exact series of cars for my personal needs. That is why I am interested in alternatives. I am very interested in what you are working on.

Mike
OilKan

Post by OilKan »

Nor Cal Mike wrote: I fooled around trying to make 1/32 slot car stuff work with Wes's set up but it is a pretty tight trying to fit the batteries and electonic components in a scale classic 1/32 body. It can be done with larger car like Nascars but classic sports cars are a hard nut to crack. I figured why not try 1/24? The car will use two batteries wired in parallel so will retain the stock voltage for the electronics.
Mike
Doing this will increase supply amperage and if you are looking to use Wes' this ESC electronics that could cause problems. supply will only provide what amps drawn by the circuit component. A different motor could run the same voltage but have a higher amp draw or vise versa, Same results either way.Torque & speed are specified the same as voltage & amp draw, google the spec sheet from the manufacture. it will list all that and more. Then you can find a motor with a higher speed and your desired torque curve with voltage and amp draw within range to work with Wes' ESC.
Concerning upgrading motors and the addition of more powerful batteries with out destroying Wes' designed ESC, you could use the stock ESC as a control circuit to switch the higher amperage/voltage proposed in running more powerful motors while limiting the power to the ESC or retaining the AAA as supply power for the ESC. If anyone is still still interested I could design a simple circuit that will work in a larger 1/24 car as well as one that I believe would be a viable option in the 1/32 for more batteries and/or a stronger motor. this is a viable option that will retain the variable speed control to the motor and the simular type of circuit could be used if you wanted a larger or more powerful steering coil.