1/24 Chassis Idea

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Nor Cal Mike

1/24 Chassis Idea

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I was going to wait until I was a little further along but decided to post this 1/24 chassis that I am gearing up for. So far it is only at the drawing stage but I have a body and wheels coming in the mail to begin construction very soon. I fooled around trying to make 1/32 slot car stuff work with Wes's set up but it is a pretty tight trying to fit the batteries and electonic components in a scale classic 1/32 body. It can be done with larger car like Nascars but classic sports cars are a hard nut to crack. I figured why not try 1/24? With that in mind, I ordered two 1/24 vacuform bodies from Pattos Place in Australia, a Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage and a Chaparral 1. I picked up two full sets of Dynamic 1/24 slot car wheels on Ebay. When all of the parts get here I will start building. I plan to build my own spindles from soldered brass parts but I will try to use Wes's steering coil and receiver unit. I will use a C can motor from a tooth brush which was designed to run on 3 volts in the tooth brush. Here are some drawings.

The chassis will be built from balsa wood, in a manner similar to model airplane construction the bulkhead pieces will be cut to the inside contours of the body minus a few cm to allow installing foam to cushion the body on the chassis.
This one has simple front axle beams.

This drawing shows a slightly more sophisticated axle beam set up. It is designed to rock slightly in the chassis. It is my hope that having a small amount of articulation will allow me to build tracks with camber changes in them. Some articulation in the suspension will enable the mag tiller to maintain close contact with the wire. Allowing a track with a Corkscrew? The car will use two batteries wired in parallel so will retain the stock voltage for the electronics. They will mount longwise on both sides of the chassis.

The 1/24 car would allow both sidewinder and inline motor set ups. This drawing shows the motor mounted behind the axle which is common in RC cars because the mass of the batteries and steering components offset the rear motor weight.

Here is an inline motor set up.

Overhead views of the two motor mounting set ups. In the picture it appears the dark panels are under the batteries. In reality they would be above the batteries with magnets installed in holes in the panel to both retain the batter and provide electrical contacts similar to Wes's design.

Here is a side view of a sidewinder set up.

Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Re: 1/24 Chassis Idea

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I forgot to mention, the materials used for this chassis can be styrene plastic or like model airplanes, balsa wood. I am leaning towards balsa wood.
Mike
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Thanks for charing idëas. Some kind of plastic like Sintra can be good.
I dont now wath kind of patentproblem can come up.
But there are many very good ideas in Wes R construction.
Remeber that the free steering can be done with two spols instedt of two magnets.
The spols can be slightu concov to fit the steering magnet.
Magnet OK och två spolar.JPG
Magnet OK och två spolar.JPG (23.19 KiB) Viewed 19462 times
Want to see more of this says Lasp
And I want a adjustable schassi ;-)

PS/ The pin in front of the magnetsteeringOK is for correction of free straight ahead direction /DS
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Mike, your designs look very cool. I'm looking forward to see them finished. The drawings made me think of Al Penrose's (BWA) Popsicle slot car chassis which I have heard work very well. Would balsa wood be strong enough?

http://www.ddavid.com/slot-car-gallery/popsiclecar.htm

Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Yes Paul, I am familiar with Al's popsicle stick cars. I'm not worried at all about the strength of balsa wood. After all, it works with nitro powered RC airplanes. The entirety of the structure makes the strength rather than any one piece of wood. Flat wood panels glued in between the bulkhead members like a floor in the cab area or in the battery pods would add rigidity to the structure. I could use styrene or any other sheet plastic too but I think wood is where I will start.

LASP, I am intrigued by that double coil car. What brand is it? I have been thinking of twin coil steering. They are wired in opposite polarity where one is pushing while the other is pulling on the magnet attached to the tie rod.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Nor Cal Mike Do you want more pictures around the coils?
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Yes Lasp, I would very much like to see more photos.
Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

My body arrived in the mail yesterday and I managed to begin cutting out some cardboard templates for the chassis. It is coming out pretty close to how I imagined it in my drawings which is interesting since I didn't have the body in my possession at the time that I did them. Here are some pics.
As you can see, it looks like the inline motor arrangement is going to be the easiest arrangement for this car. I will use a brass motor bracket to mount the rear axle. The motor and bracket will sandwich the rear bulkhead which will mount them solidly into the chassis. The construction materials will be balsa and/or bass wood.The wheels are vintage Dynamic 600's that have spokes cast in. They are 5/8" diameter on the hub by 1/4" wide. They ought'a look pretty cool with knock off spinners on them. I have tires coming from Paul Gage in Canada. Wes's front axle set up is actually too wide to fit this body. I will scratch build a new set up including spindles set up to house 1/8" stub axles.

I will run two batteries wired in parallel. The motors pictured is a Falcon 7 which is a pretty hot motor in a slot car. It might be just right at 3.5 volts, we'll see. you never know with these electric motors because the varying voltage vs. performance curves don't necessarily correspond in a linear fashion. I will try it out to see how works. If not, I'll try another and another until I find the right recipe.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Here is a picture of a model of the Tipo 61 chassis. I will generally try to make the dimensions of my chassis similar.Image
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Wonderful project Mike, I've always liked the Birdcage. Best of luck with the build, I'm looking forward to following it.

Paul