NASCAR

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Double Naught

Re: NASCAR

Post by Double Naught »

The Ford looks great Wes! I think they will generate a lot of interest. I've got two ovals and they are a blast! Can we see how you mounted the body? Either very long screws or... what? Are they for sale as a part?

Paul
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hi Wes, very great Job on this car! Like it very much. Regards Jens
WesR

Post by WesR »

Thanks for the compliments. Body mounting has proven easier than I expected.
The 3 self tap screws into the chassis are all about 1/8" (3mm) longer and the
grey plate in the car is a piece of 2mm plastic with holes for the magnets to be pressed into it. This is a much better idea than gluing them I think. The front one shown
is glued but would also be better pressed into a hole. I have used impact
adhesive (forget what you call it in the States) to fix the grey plates to the body.
Rough up the plastic and spread the glue well and it sticks better than epoxy.
If all goes well, we can maybe make these items on the 3d printer we are looking at
Not running a bumper plate yet, seems ok without so far.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Body mounts
Nascar body mount 002 (500x393).jpg
Nascar body mount 002 (500x393).jpg (141.97 KiB) Viewed 16351 times
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Nascar's :yes
I think you can reach a much bigger number of peopple, the young generation knows them too.
and I also think a nascar track would be more simple to build, and it can have a big number of cars on it.

looking forward to make my favorite Nascar, M&M I race with that in 2004-206 Danish Nascar slotracing 1/24
n2004felt.jpg
n2004felt.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 16345 times
/Keld
steved033

Post by steved033 »

Looks like i'll have to buy that warehouse so I can build a scale model of Daytona so I can run the road course OR the oval....

sjd
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

Hi Wes,

Do you have an approximate release date on these in mind? Might be enough to spur me on to finish the oval I started last year.
Wish the cars could produce a little more torque though. With the current motor on a big oval it they might emulate restricter plate racing accurately. That would be a new discipline to learn.

Brion.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Brion, Re.speeds, your comment prompted me to check lap speeds of small Nascar
ovals and the lap record at Martinsville is around 100 mph with race speeds around
90 mph. This is a 1/2 mile track. Our D oval is around 27 feet or 290 yards only
and lap times are 4.7 secs and I reckon that's around 120 mph.
Re production, this depends on the reception this gets when we have finished the
track, prototype cars, decals, videos etc. Attached is a taster of the sort of photo
I think we need.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Chevy leads Ford out of the 'Martinsville' banking.
Nascar April1 12 006 (640x387).jpg
Nascar April1 12 006 (640x387).jpg (211.54 KiB) Viewed 16224 times
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

Thank you for the update Wes.
I'm not so good at math but that maybe works out to about 125MPH. Yes a scale half mile would be rather large at around 82.5' (25.146M) per lap.
As far as the comment on the motors, the top end speed is realistic I was just hoping for a little more bottom end to enable the car to climb inclines better. One of the genre of motor racing I was looking to emulate is dirt track racing. That would require the car to initiate and maintain a four wheel drift with out scrubbing off to much speed.
The Nascar idea does looks appealing. You have done a very good job on the body and decals. You can put me down for 2 body shells and decals if that will be an option.

Brion.