How to Fit 1970 Ferrari 512 S Berlinetta Body to Mag Chassis

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Ned

How to Fit 1970 Ferrari 512 S Berlinetta Body to Mag Chassis

Post by Ned »

I won a Fly 1970 Ferrari 512 S Berlinetta slot car on ebay. Paid $27.10 USD.

I hope to marry the body, wheels, and rear axle to a mag chassis. The body weighs 24 grams compared to the 12 grams of the McLaren M8A I have to reduce the:
front track 2.5 mm = 0.10”,
rear track 1.0 mm = 0.04”
wheelbase 1.7 mm = 0.065”
Reducing the front track and adapting the front wheels will probably be the most difficult.

First I have to remove the wheels from the axles of the 512. Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the wheels from the axles? Are the ends of the front and rear axles threaded as well as the wheels? Are the wheels held on the axles with what appears to be very small hex jam nuts? Or are they just pressed onto the end of the axles? Are the wheels likely metal or plastic?

Any advice or suggestions for removing the wheels, removing the rear axle and bearings, and adapting the front wheels to the mag front end would be appreciated. I plan to post the progress of this project. Thanks for your help.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: How to Fit 1970 Ferrari 512 S Berlinetta Body to Mag Cha

Post by kiklo »

Had to take a look in my spareparts. (pic.)

The wheels are just pressfit so you can just twist them off. All plastic.
As for the rear axel just press it out of the rearwheel mount.

Just take it slowly they are some years old. :-)
Attachments
f-512.jpg
f-512.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 16447 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

hi ned, i think its impossible to use the frontwheels. the point where the wheel stands on the track, and the point where the axle turns has to be near together, or the smallest impakt on the wheel will shoot the car of the wire. if you look at original frontwheels, you will see that they are running on the inside, at the axleturnpoint. as wider the points away from each other, as greater the possibility for failures like shimmy. i learned that on my 1:24 tryes, maybe you have seen that i only used o rings as fronttyres. if i wanted the wheels look like spokewheels i painted them on the original wheels. thats not looking so good as real wheels but its a compromis to run the car good. and thats the important thing in my eyes. rearaxle will be not a big problem i think. the body looks great,waiting to see it mounted on the mag chassie. good luck markus
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

i have those pens in many colores and different wides.
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

there is one point at the rearaxle. the gear is to great , you have to install a smaller one or the car will run slow.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Kiklo & Markus, thanks for the info. I got the 512 completely disassembled without breaking anything. :yes
A couple of more questions. Can the front tire be removed from the wheel without damaging either?
If I rub the hub of the front wheel, across a piece of sandpaper on a table top, until the hub no longer extends beyond the inside edge of the plastic wheel, and continue sanding until I reduce the width of the wheel and tire by 2 mm, will the tire eventually work itself off of the wheel on the inside after several hours of racing? If so, what type of glue would you recommend to keep the tire on the wheel?
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Ned wrote:Kiklo & Markus, thanks for the info. I got the 512 completely disassembled without breaking anything. :yes
A couple of more questions. Can the front tire be removed from the wheel without damaging either?
If I rub the hub of the front wheel, across a piece of sandpaper on a table top, until the hub no longer extends beyond the inside edge of the plastic wheel, and continue sanding until I reduce the width of the wheel and tire by 2 mm, will the tire eventually work itself off of the wheel on the inside after several hours of racing? If so, what type of glue would you recommend to keep the tire on the wheel?
All FLY cars came with slip in tyres, so unless former owner glued them it should be ok.
PS they tend to become brittle by time if they are exposed to sunlight.
(I happens to have a lot of FLY spares if they brake and you can not get them locally.)
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Post by Ned »

After considering the changes to the stock chassis needed to marry it to the Ferrari 512 S body as well as a Chaparral 2C body, I decided to design a new chassis with an adjustable wheelbase which could be used for both bodies. The first chassis, which was produced by Shapeways.com via 3D printing, turned out to fit the Ferrari body very well, as you can see in the photos below.

The car runs very well. For more info about the chassis see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=553

This chassis does not fit my smaller Chaparral 2C body. After some modifications to the design I believe I can get it to fit. After the design is tested and finalized, I'll offer that new narrower and thinner chassis for sale on Shapeways.com. I expect it to fit both bodies and many other closed-wheeled 1/32 race car bodies.

When time permits, I'll add a bumper and probably a bigger or additional magnet in front to hold the chassis to the Ferrari body. Might also try to adapt the Ferrari front wheels to the chassis and perhaps add a driver.