2.4ghz cars

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Ned

Re: 2.4ghz cars

Post by Ned »

kiklo wrote: Will be interesting to have a look at your design when ready.
After working with a prototype, I revised the design slightly and added it to my collection of things available in my shop at Shapeways. If anyone has any questions about it, please post a question or send me a PM. Check it out at https://www.shapeways.com/product/KQAQT ... is-kit-ck7
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Great Ned!
Racing Regards

Kim K.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

Hello Ned

I would encourage you to develop the magracing system further, However I would ask you kindly not to copy the designs of our chassis and then sell them directly on shapeways. You have clearly taken our method of steering control and copied it. I really don't mind if anyone has a look at our designs and makes some chassis for themselves, but when you start selling them for commercial gains this starts to become an real issue for us, particularly as a we are fledgling company.

Whilst it is not worth me suing anyone for doing this, you should ask yourself what you will achieve by doing what you have done. If every innovation I or someone else does is simply copied and sold without even the courtesy of asking for permission it will just encourage us to pack up our little business venture and do something else. The magracing hobby will then be back at the start, with no supplier of complete cars for newcomers.

I have literally spent over 2 years developing the chassis and spent a few thousands of pounds doing so. It is therefore with some disappointment to see what you have done.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Martin,

Magracing is a hobby with me. Always has been and always will be. I’m completely retired. No day job.

I got into designing chassis because I wanted more realistic bodies than Wes was offering. My focus has always been to create a chassis that will precisely fit existing highly detailed 1/32 slot car bodies.

I have been offering some of my designs of chassis and related 1/32 scale accessories on Shapeways since September 2016, 1 1/2 years. During that time I’ve earned a sum total profit of less than $225 from all sales at Shapeways. I’m obviously not doing it for commercial gains.

I figured that since I’ve taken all of the time and expense to develop new magracing products for myself, why not share them with others. None of my offerings at Shapeways are available elsewhere. No one offers a chassis with an adjustable wheelbase that will fit under a highly detailed Slot.it Ferrari 312 PB body. None of my offerings are in direct competition with yours. I believe my offerings complement yours. I am not trying to take business from you.

My goal concerning chassis design has always been to make a chassis kit which can be used to convert a 1/32 slot car to a mag steer car, using the wheels, tires, axles, and body. I have no intentions of selling ready-to-run chassis. My products do not reduce the demand for RTR cars, and that is the big potential demand. I don’t believe that my offerings at Shapeways has caused the sales revenue of you and Wes to be lower than otherwise. Nor will it in the future. If anything the availability of my chassis kits, enhance the demand for your RTR cars. Only the serious hobbyist is interested in my kits, and the majority of those will buy a RTR car before buying a kit.

I do appreciate all you have done to keep magracing alive. I would like you to view me as an ally, not as a competitor. I certainly did not intend to disappoint you with my new chassis kit offering. Anything that increases buzz about magracing should increase your sales. But I can understand your perspective not knowing my intentions. Hopefully there are no permanent hard feelings. By the way, you and everyone are are welcome to copy any ideas you see that I post on this forum or on Shapeways.

Best wishes with your new cars.

Ned
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

@Ned
Thank you for your kind words. I didn't mean to upset the happy community. I am sorry if i came across a bit terse but recently with our MDF buildings we have experienced someone directly copying our designs (quite poorly) and I was concerned that this might be going the same way. Thank you for putting my mind at rest and am happy now we are all on the same page. I'm sure once we get the company rolling a bit faster I wont be so concerned.

We are actually in the process of developing an adjustable chassis which we hope to release very soon. This should handle wheelbases from between about 74mm to 89mm.

We are also probably going to sell the electronics separately and are just getting quotes for a larger batch. If these are OK we are hoping to get them up for sale in the next few weeks. We believe these might be about £22 to the customer. This is not far off what a reciever and esc combination would cost and of course the wiring is easier!
Ned

Post by Ned »

HeliumFrog wrote:@Ned
We are actually in the process of developing an adjustable chassis which we hope to release very soon. This should handle wheelbases from between about 74mm to 89mm.

We are also probably going to sell the electronics separately and are just getting quotes for a larger batch. If these are OK we are hoping to get them up for sale in the next few weeks. We believe these might be about £22 to the customer. This is not far off what a reciever and esc combination would cost and of course the wiring is easier!
I think that offering a chassis with an adjustable wheelbase is the single most important thing you can do to increase the attractiveness of your chassis and ultimately your sales.

Glad to hear you are thinking of selling the electronics separately. I would think that most people who buy one of my kits would be interested in your electronics, assuming the board is small enough and compatible with my kit, which uses an HK-5320 servo. I know I would.
Ned

Post by Ned »

HeliumFrog wrote:@Ned

I think that offering a chassis with an adjustable wheelbase is the single most important thing you can do to increase the attractiveness of your chassis and ultimately your sales.

Glad to hear you are thinking of selling the electronics separately. I would think that most people who buy one of my kits would be interested in your electronics, assuming the board is small enough and compatible with my kit, which uses an HK-5320 servo. I know I would.
WesR

Post by WesR »

kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

kiklo wrote:Hmmm.

Chassis measures 32mm wide by 90mm. Wheelbase a-a 70mm.
Had to rethink.
No I have got a chassis with the needed 64 mm wheelbase. It's another ballgame.
This is just a teaser while I'm out skiing for Easter holiday. I'll bring some interesting pic in a weeks time.

The slim chassis was nice exercise and transformed easily to a AC Cobra chassis.

The last one is reusing part of a SCX frontwheel steering chassis for a Volvo 850 BTCC car and converting it to MagRacing.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: 2.4ghz cars SCX conversion resuse scx steering

Post by kiklo »

I have a SCX Volvo 850 and a Peugeot 406. Her are some pictures.

These cars have a pivoting front axle.
DSC_2968.jpg
DSC_2968.jpg (116.83 KiB) Viewed 16864 times
DSC_2969.jpg
DSC_2969.jpg (129.99 KiB) Viewed 16864 times
Its hard to see detail on the chassis, I'll add some other pic.
DSC_2966.jpg
DSC_2966.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 16864 times
I have put a small Delrin ball on the guide as there a quite a bit of play in the front axle.

Still working in shortening the guide to get it within the body.
Racing Regards

Kim K.