Controller for lefties - wrong way around...

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
Keld
Administrator

Re: Controller for lefties - wrong way around...

Post by Keld »

Mike I feel the same about this talk.

About the battery, why not change to be hold by magnets, just like in the car, it works very good there.
Just a Idea :idea: (I do think Mr. Raynor has a patent) ;)
/Keld
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Very good point Mike. Shure we have to discuss all details that can be improved, and also the thing thats going well.
I dont think that Ravajack was unfriendle in his point.
We all want a new and realistic way of racing.

I agre about that the Pistol looks very cheap in construction. But it can bee a part of acceptans for MR.

So lets se if we can mowe the steering wheel to the other side Or replace it with tumbsticks ;-)

My cars and Pistols is on the way to Sweden, so I have to be patient!
Swimming in the pool without water , isnt fun!
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I agree that adding a magnet is a good idea because the battery just kind of floats in the slot between the two contacts. However a magnet alone still would not cure the problem that I observed. In fact it might make the problem worse. However, a centered magnet combined with stop cushions at each end of the battery similar to my little foam stop would work well to assure that the battery remains where it ought to be, fully engaged with its contacts.

My comments regarding constructive comments was not aimed at any one person in the conversation. Rather it was a caution that preaching to the choir only positive observations while censoring any problematic ones for fear that it might be construed by a newbie as a reason to stay away from Magsteer isn't good either. It is better that the new person come in with accurate information in hand rather than just setting up their new toy only to find that it won't go with no guidance as to how to correct the issue. If there is a glitch, they will be able to look it up here to find the possible reason and its solution. Armed with that knowledge, they become enabled to have a successful first experience. It also gives Wes feedback on what is happening out there in the larger world. Let me emphasise, I am referring to CONSTRUCTIVE feedback rather than complaining for no good purpose.

Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

correct one magnet is not enough, there must be 2, and placed just like in the cars. I know 2 magnets cost extra, but h... :mrgreen:
/Keld
ravajack

Post by ravajack »

Oldgoat wrote:D--m you guys are that bored to rag on where items have been seen before and not working to improve magracing, thought this was a friendly forum not to put everyone down because they aren't perfect LIKE YOU.

oldman age 71 :twisted:
OK, to make things a bit clearer for the "old goat":

This is typical standard controllers for SLOT RACING CARS:
Right hand triggering, all the extra bells & whistles on the LEFT HAND SIDE of the controller.

This is typical standard controllers for RADIO CONTROL CARS:
Left hand triggering, all the extra bells & whistles on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the controller.

So my original point was, and still is (in as friendly and constructive way as possible):

Aiming the magracing concept primarely to the slot racing community, it is not a very clever idea to develop and design a control system with standards from the RC world. I.e. a controller for lefties in the slot racing world.

As I by now assume that the Magracing controller is of Wes Raynor's own design and make, it is understandable that it looks the way it does, as Wes himself comes from a long journey in the RC world (Mardave). He is used to controllers like this, left hand triggering with right hand steering.

But the rest of us, from the slot racing world, are NOT used to this. We are used to RIGHT hand triggering, and very sensitive at that, while doing nothing much with our left hand. The new concept of also steering (or rather lane changing) is thus better suited for the hitherto unoccupied left hand.

That is why I feel that the Magracing controller needs a major overhaul and redesign ASAP, if the system is going to really catch on with the slot racing crowd.

Maybe the Kyosho RC controller for the 1/43 Dslot cars (top right in the top picture) could be a role model for a modified Magracing controller, as a steering wheel really isn't necessary. A couple of buttons would do for maneuvering the lane changes, and is also faster and more "intuitive" for a slot racer. Buttons are probably also a cheaper solution than a steering wheel.

C'mon Wes! Kill your darlings from the RC world.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Ravajack :yes

I see your point now and rather strange that there is such a diff. between slots/RC, but not being into RC that much cause at older age you lose your eye/hand control as I do in PC flight sims, even way back when my oldest son was 14 and I had to ask him to land my F-14 on the flight deck but I could kick his butt in combat. Again THANKS to Wes to help us oldies to control the RC so not to look so out of touch with the rest of the racers.

Thanks for the great comparision between slots/RC.

Chris :beer , time for a cold one
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

The bottom line is that this because technology is so simple, we, as enthusiasts, have the ability to rebuild the transmitter/controller to our liking. I for one, hope to move the internal parts from Wes's transmitter to a Professor Motors controller body which is ergonomically more comfortable. I will likely mount the battery on the outside of the body, at the top, using a standard type AAA battery holder available from electronic suppliers. I will likely replace the wheel with a double pole, momentary toggle switch because since we don't use proportional steering which makes a wheel unnecessary. But that is a later project. I am building a car right now. When I get a fleet of cars and a track to my liking, only then will I move to the transmitter.

Mike
WesR

Post by WesR »

Seems to me that it would be a lot easier to just spend 10 minuits
learning to work the throttle with your left hand than it would be to spend a day
modifying the transmitter. When I drive my full size car here in England, I steer
with my right hand and change gear with my left. When I drive a hire car
in Europe, I steer with my left hand and change gear with my right!. Most
people can do this.
RichardD

Post by RichardD »

Something to consider - in RC racing, fine throttle control may not be as important as good steering control (things might have moved on since I last drove an RC car, but it only had three speeds forwards and three in reverse). Whereas in slot racing (and presumably mag racing), fine throttle control is EVERYTHING. Hence slot racers usually use their dominant hand for throttle control (for 90% of people, their right), and RC racers use their dominant hand for steering.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I would like to report that after using the controllers for a number of hours this week, I think they are just Great! I like the weight of the controller and the spring on the trigger (nice and light). As to the squareness it actually feels quite good to hold on to (right handed facing up). All three that I have all worked perfectly with no complaints from the other users. :thumpup

Paul