MAGjag

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Double Naught

Re: MAGjag

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Mike, Yes it will melt right into the plastic. It will be soft for about a day and then harden up. You can use to your advantage if you are good with a knife or a pair of scissors you can trim it while it is still soft. If you are sanding it and it comes away from the main part add a little more and wait until it gets hard. That's the only real trouble with the technique is that it can take some time to out gas.

Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I've used JB Weld for structural filler before. It works pretty good as you well pointed out with your wheel opening modifications. I think I will use that.

Do you have headlight lenses? I think the headlight buckets could be partially filled in to again use the stock lenses. Tiny motors has them too but I am a little too cheap to spend 8 bucks for two little pieces of clear plastic. I'd do it for a wind screen but.................. I don't know why my sensibilities change for the headlights. After all they they all contain approximately the same amount of plastic.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Mike, Yeah, I can be funny that way too. I like to try make most things from scratch if I can but as you said why reinvent the wheel? Good thought about the headlights, fill them in a bit and the original should fit easily after being widened. I am thinking about doing the 1956 version that won Le mans, it has the full width windscreen. I am still doing research on it, I see it was metallic blue, hmm ... I do like the dark British racing green though.

Paul