Me Have Great Need

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Nor Cal Mike

Me Have Great Need

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Joel,
If you see this, how is your new narrower and hopefully adjustable chassis coming? Yes sir, me have great need indeed.

I'm not applying any pressure am I :stop :roll:
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Re: Me Have Great Need

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello Mike. Been sick with a terrible flu for about a week now. So haven't got anything done. Got a bunch of cool bodies from old goat. Have got molds done for about half. Been thinking about an adjustable chassis. Thinking of modding a hhr chassis. Might not be the correct letters. The one that is under some chaparral 2 j's . Might be a good starting point. You have any pics of some adjustable slot car chassis? Adjustable is definitely the way to go.

Joel
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Joel,
Sorry to hear you are down with something, better take care of yourself and see you in forum when you can return.

Chris :beer
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Please forgive my lack of response. I have been traveling all week via Amtrak to Ann Arbor Michigan. I am here to see my baby girl graduate from grad school at the University of Michigan. 3 days on the train with wi-fi.

Joel, I am not familiar with the Hrr chassis that you mention. Here is my pet idea for most scale 1/32 type bodies. For the front section, I'd just use Wes's chassis as is. I would modify the battery box to take that shorter but fatter battery I sent you. Since I am not home I can't check the number but I have mentioned it here before. That battery will allow you to narrow the chassis by a sufficient amount to allow most 1/32 saloon bodies. For chassis adjustment, I would mount the motor and rear axle on a pod assembly with multiple mounting holes to allow the pod to bolt in on several different wheel base increments. You might accomplish that by extending the lid of the battery box rearward so that it will be up high over the motor. The pod could actually bolt beneath that rearward extension. When I get home in another week I can work up a sketch if you don't follow what I am saying.

Get Well!
Mike
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

What about an adjustable front end like the Slot.It HRS2? It is not restricted to holes but finely adjustable.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN1359c.jpg
DSCN1359c.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 16278 times
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul,
That would be a great idea if the entire front axle assembly, including the steering coil slid back and fourth as a unit. While the casting is going on, a more narrow front assembly should be done as well. This would allow folks a huge increase in available choice.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

I agree. Will have to order one. I like the idea of having the motor pod. Lots of ideas running wild now. Probably two chassis would be enough. One wide and one narrow. Would makes things a hole heck of a lot simpler for casting. Yep. I like it. off to order a chassis......
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

The track width of the car also must be narrowed along with actual chassis width. I would think that casting a new narrower tie rod would suffice. This narrower tie rod would move the steering coil placement inboard in the proccess. This may foul the electronics board which may necessitate raising it higher to clear the coil. For a kit form, a template could be provided to redrill and trim the outer ends of Wes's original cross beams.

Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Ordered a slot it chassis. I think this chassis will give me a good starting point. I really like the idea of the floating motor pod.