Newbies thoughts on a new track.

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Kellerkind

Newbies thoughts on a new track.

Post by Kellerkind »

Okay freaks,

got to jump into this. This system is too fascinating to miss it.
What I am going for is a modular and waterproof gardentrack. Kelds dremel method and a waterproof plywood might be the way. Maybe something like this as the goal for the next summer:

The idea for the moment is to start with modules of two straights and 4 90° curves to get a testtrack-oval first. Later further parts might be added to get it bigger. First order is made, so I got to wait, sharpen the tools and get it done.
I would be much interested in your thoughts about my design from above. Originally coming from common slotcarracing I am not used to the dimensions and settings needed for this system to get a smooth and flowing circuit. Your ideas will surely help me.

Thanks a lot. Thoughts and critics always welcome. Regards Jens
prime05

Re: Newbies thoughts on a new track.

Post by prime05 »

I'll give you my experience so far. I think your track design is good. Bridge might be overkill on first build, but lane changes and racing line are good. I tried doing the whole modular thing on my first build and it didn't work out at all. The first problem was my fault because I bought cheap wood. The track was being built in my basement and the temp difference ended up warping some of the boards. The second issue I had was the wire likes to come up at the end of a board. No matter how much glue I put on the wire, the ends would eventually come up. I definitely have found that having the track permanetly screwed down to be the best bet.

One other thing, I think the 'keld' method is unnecessary. Just glue the wire to board and then plaster. Either way you have to wait for the glue to dry so it's not quicker. Plus, you will probably find that some corners need to be changed after you test them. Then you would have to dig the wire out, saw again, then glue the wire back into the slot. Without the slot you can just scrap the wire out and move and glue back down. I really feel the 'keld' method adds a useless step. Plus, plastering is one of the easiest things to do and makes having to do changes to the track super easy.

Just my two cents I what I've done. Hopefully, I can get some pictures of the track I am building up soon. I can't get them to upoload for some reason.

Anyway, hope you have fun.
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hallo prime05,

thanks for your input and thoughts. The speciality in this case is the point of getting it watertight and the fact that the only further space I have left for slot- or magracing is my garden! So it has to be definitely modular to be stowed away when necessary. The good thing about that is that there is space to build it big. I guess I have to try different things, throw them out into the garden and Check what survives the Winter best.

Regards Jens
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Warm Welcome too the realistic racing world.
Do a testtrack, use welding wire 0, 8 mm, glue it too the board, plaster and paint.
One off the very good thing with MagRacing is no Electric wires.
Just place the track and race.
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hi Lasp!

I was wondering why you couldnt be found on the other forum any more! Now I know and same might happen to me, too. Thats what fascinates me at Magracing, too: a most realistic driving without any complicated electronic devices. I will start building my testtrack this afternoon, car and wire ordered and hopefully arrive soon. I will post my results. All the best.

Regards Jens