New Garden-Track? Your opinion and your thoughts, please.

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
WesR

Re: New Garden-Track? Your opinion and your thoughts, please

Post by WesR »

Hi Jens, Looks good but LC8 would not work. You need at least 20cm straight before each l/c.
Overtaking is always going to be difficult on our relatively small tracks. It's like F1 cars racing
on a Go Cart track! Most overtaking will happen when drivers make a mistake (much as in full
size) And mistakes will happen!
I still think that a full racing line is the way to go so that you can drive every turn properly.
I still get great satisfaction from driving consistent racing line laps.
Your comment on tyres is interesting. I too like the basic wheel/tyre grip but I admit that the cars
run straight into the l/cs better with the extra grip from the tape and so lane changing is then 100%.
Regards Wes
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hi Wes,

thanks for the hint. I will take care just to strech the area between LC7 and 8 to the required amount when building the track. Concerning the raceline I had some problems with my actual slottrack (photo below). Thats why I am in sorrow about that. That track is really small (3.6x1.6m) and it allows full bestlane-options by using Scorpius wireless digital system. Combined with good tyre-grip and relatively high speed like usual in slotracing nobody had the chance to overtake another and even slower cars (e.g. driven by my children) were hard to catch and overtake once they hit and kept the raceline. Much bigger tracks would be necessary for solving that.

Now the new track will be bigger, speed more relaxing and tyregrip near zero ;) so I realy look fwd to start the first races. Maybe my 1/24 project works, too. Lets see.

Regards Jens
matt

Post by matt »

wow that is stuning :respect i think you just need to try it , you can always tweak the design if not happy .
prime05

Post by prime05 »

These aren't slot cars. Trust me. You will make mistakes. It is challenging to put 5 laps together without making a mistake. And, I don't mean crashing, but missing the turn point and going on the outside, giving someone the chance to pass on the race line. Challenging, fun, rewarding. That is what this system is. I don't think I could ever go back to slot cars.
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hello freaks, here we go:

...Dremeled all the modules of the gardentrack in less than 2 hours today. One of them even equipped with wire.
Decided to go for a wider distance between the lanes (13cm) and a bit wider track (25cm) to make it fit for 1/24, too. (Just in case my 1/24 carproject works :) .) First lanechanger built, tested and working fine so far. Bad photo, but just to keep you updated.

Regards Jens
matt

Post by matt »

cool , hows the bridge going .
WesR

Post by WesR »

Re your digital track Jens, I see the problem with overtaking. Unless you have some straights, drivers cannot put pressure on the car ahead. The straights on our Linford 2 circuit are 4 mtrs (15ft)long but this is only equal to 130mtrs (480ft) which would be short for a real go-cart track so overtaking, given equal cars and skilled drivers, is always going to be difficult. These straights do allow pressure to be put on a leading car however and, as has been said, eventually a mistake will
be made. Well done and keep up the good work.
The lane change plate shown earlier was made by 3d printing. We are looking closely at this as
this (3d printing) could be very usefull for small production of differing chassis, wheels etc.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

I was just wondering how you were going to protect the track from the elements. Is the track going to be left outside in the rain?

This got me thinking of the best materials for an outside surface and I think a fibreglass track could work well. I have done quite a few fibreglass roofs in my time and they seem to last for ever. The base is marine ply and then is covered with a single layer of glass fibre and then gel coat.

This could be adapted by using fibreglass tissue which is very thin and smooth. The gel coat is like thick paint so rolls out very flat. I am just waiting for my cars to arrive and I might give this a go.

A permanent layout between the flowerbeds!?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Heliumfrog, this sound like something to test.
a plywoodplate, glue the wires on in incl. lanechange etc.
thin fiberglass
and the epoxypaint.

will you make a video tutorial and share your knowledge? and lets see how the cars will work on the gelcoat surface.
/Keld
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Sounds interesting.
I have decided to do a track on ( or in ) my back porch. It is in closed so could be used year round. No module. But is outdoors. Well kinda. Will be starting next month.