Tiny test track

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
steellynx

Tiny test track

Post by steellynx »

The picture below shows a really, really small track I built recently. The purpose of the track was to experiment with different ways of building tracks and making lane changes and so on.
Really small test track.
Really small test track.
Track wip08.jpg (144.72 KiB) Viewed 12161 times
A few measurements for good measure: :)
  • Board size: 0.8m x 1.2m (~ 32" x 48" )
  • Inner lane turn radius: 17cm (~ 7" )
  • Outer lane turn radius: 25cm (~ 10" )
After building my first track with the dremmel method I decided to go for glueing the wire on top of the board and using plaster for the track surface. I did go through the exercise of cutting out cardboard to lay around the wires, but since the cardboard I had was fairly dense it was a bit difficult to cut along the wires. This made it slow and not very precise work:
Cardboard used to make the track surface.
Cardboard used to make the track surface.
Track wip03.jpg (161.43 KiB) Viewed 12161 times
All in all my conclusion is that for me it takes about the same time to make a track by cutting a groove as when I glue the wire onto the board. But when glueing the wire I can easier get the exact bend I want and it's easier to make small corrections. Lane changes are also a lot easier for me to get correct as I don't have the proper tools to get the l/c place properly placed when cutting down into a board.

I've never worked with plaster before (other than fixing the occasional small hole after a screw or nail) but after a few intial mistakes I found that plaster is surprisingly easy to work with, and the raised track gives a really nice feel to the finished track.
Lasp

Re: Tiny test track

Post by Lasp »

Good work.

Building a good track is very important for the success of MagRacing.

The knowledge of lanechange and number of tracks is very essential.
I also like that you put upp the measurement in both metric and Inch (is it Imoerial)?

I have buil many testtrack vith different material. But not succed to full .

Coming soon in this channel ;-)

So please post moore testing.
Thanks from Lasp

PS / A kind of Freudiankst foult, inmortal insted of Imperial! /DS
AUS_Phil

Post by AUS_Phil »

A good little test track!

I am just about to build a similar test track and would like to know how it runs and if you have any tips for a small test track.

Is the radius okay on the test track?

I will most lightly try the plaster method as well.

Regards,

Phillip.
steellynx

Post by steellynx »

Hi Phillip!

This test track is okay and works as it should, but since it is so tiny the cars are nowhere near a realistic racing speed. For me that was okay because this particular track's purpose was to experiment with different ways of building the track rather than doing any actual racing on it.

The radius on the inner lane is pretty close to the smallest turn the cars can handle, but the cars can easily go through them. The lane changes, however, are a different matter. As Wes mentions somewhere on the official magracing website there should be a fairly long straight segment before a lane change. This test track showed me exactly what happens if there isn't: the cars risk taking the wrong lane. When changing from the inner lane (see the attached diagram of the track) to the outer the car will almost always automatically take the racing line through the curve. And it's often only possible to actually use that lane change (i.e. inner to outer lane) if you go slow through the corner.

All in all I think the track is actually too small. It will not give you a good feel for how the cars run, so if you can do something like Wes' test tracks or maybe use a larger single board for an oval track I think that would be the best way to go.

Whichever size you choose please post photos and your experiences with building it :)

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Attachments
Oval Test 02 small.png
Oval Test 02 small.png (49.67 KiB) Viewed 11927 times
AUS_Phil

Post by AUS_Phil »

Thanks for the information and comments, as will now plan more of a long straight segment before a lane changes.

I may get another board and make a simple fold out test track as a starting point.

Best regards,

Phillip.