MAGjag

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Double Naught

MAGjag

Post by Double Naught »

I wanted to try a hard body to see how the extra weight made the car handle. I am happy to find that the car handles well but, you do feel the weight. It is 70 grams (w/battery) 6 grams more than the Alfa bodied car. More body work to come, I couldn't wait to try driving it. A joy to drive as usual, Thanks Wes. :
Attachments
DSCN1020c.jpg
DSCN1020c.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 16176 times
DSCN1075c.jpg
DSCN1075c.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 16176 times
DSCN1076c.jpg
DSCN1076c.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 16176 times
Nor Cal Mike

Re: MAGjag

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

That is VERY NICE! Since I see two white(ish) strips can I infer that you added width in two places? I have seen a widened D Type Jag two times now and must say that they do look very good that way. You have inspired e to dig out my Stromy D Type for another look. Maybe even her Ferrari TR250 running mate too. Good Work Sir.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I'm glad you like it Mike. I made 3 cuts, one on each fender and down the center. I added 1/16" on each fender and 3/16" for a total of 5/16". Since the old Strombeckers are made of styrene I like to use sheet styrene for widening and brake degreaser for glue. Keep your bits of styrene in a small paint bottle and add brake degreaser to make filler.
Attachments
DSCN1023c.jpg
DSCN1023c.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 16155 times
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Brake degreaser as glue. That is a new one to me.

Your car is precisely the type of car that I have been thinking of ever since my first mag steer car arrived. Wes's Alpha style wheels even look credible on a Jag of that era. Now if we could get a vacuform knock off of that body, that would be perfect.

Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul,
I am looking over my Jag that I have here and your pics. It looks to me that a person would have have to take a small section out of each side to account for the taper of the body as it comes around to the side. I see that you have some filler on the side just forward of the rear wheel arch. It looks like you might have made a cut there to shorten the rear quarter panel. :think Am I right? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Mike
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Mike, I tried to follow the existing wheel arch and angle of the side. I did add over a 1/4" on the side of the car to cover the bottom of the chassis. The body didn't have a very nice rear end, the underside was missing! So with some sheet styrene I added one. I pushed the chassis to the back so I didn't have to cut the front it off.
Hope this helps,

PAul
Attachments
DSCN1091c.jpg
DSCN1091c.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 16090 times
DSCN1090c.jpg
DSCN1090c.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 16090 times
DSCN1025c.jpg
DSCN1025c.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 16090 times
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

A video showing the MAGjag running on an inclined track with 16" elevation over 14 feet. The car is fitted with Grease Monkey rubber tires on the front and rear for hill climbing traction and steering. The car seems to have no trouble with the added load of the body and the incline. There is no increase in running temperature on any of the components on the car. Yes they are much easier to drive and there are far fewer wipe outs, the local guys think they are more fun with the added traction.

Comments are welcome,
Paul

Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul,
Your video is great to see. It settles the can we run hardbodies question.
Mike
vance22

Post by vance22 »

I want to see some multiple car racing on that track
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Vance, Hopefully I will have some video for you after the weekend. We'll give it a try with incline and see how it goes.

Paul