MAGjag

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Double Naught

Re: MAGjag

Post by Double Naught »

We won't need to mold any, everyone already has one! Lets make it a contest! The best looking one gets molded! Glad to see everyone is busy cutting up their 50 year old toys! :thumpup

Paul
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Good idea Paul.... I would be willing to cast the winner....
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

That's a very nice offer Joel! What would they be worth to buy?
Here is a neat trick I figured out/learned some where years ago. How to repair or change a body with JBWeld or liquid styrene. Just tape the area from the front with masking tape and fill from the back. Add layers if needed. If wait a few hours but not so long as it gets hard, trim with small scissors. When hard (over night or next day) sand and prep as usual.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN1110c.jpg
DSCN1110c.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 14491 times
DSCN1112c.jpg
DSCN1112c.jpg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 14491 times
DSCN1130c.jpg
DSCN1130c.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 14491 times
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:yes Paul,
Love that contest idea and am going to try your JB weld/Liquid styrene on a few bodies I am working on.

thanks for all the ideas

Chris :beer
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

How about $ 20.00 shipped.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

You are welcome Chris, I have lots of them but most aren't worth talking about. :tung

That price sounds very reasonable Joel, your postage in the US seems much better than Canada.

I'd better get busy. Paul
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:P Paul,

I have one more question, what brand of brake degeaser do you use cause many of them on the market come with other additives that might screw up the plastic?

thanks
Chris :beer
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I think most are the same but I have been using Gunk from Walmart. Of course follow all of their warnings. I always test a small inconspicuous spot, it will melt the plastic instantly.

Your mileage may vary,

Paul
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Paul

Thanks a bunch will get it and play around with some junk bodies and plastic.

Chris :ugeek:
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul, I have a small tin can full of styrene scraps saved up to try out your styrene filler. Does this filler bond well enough to the original so that it might be structural as if it were part of the original? I am thinking of building up on the underside to make flat stands on which to glue the body mounting magnets. I also have a couple of thin spots in my spacer material after sanding to flush.

I wound up adding three equal strips of approximately 1/8 " to widen my body for a total of 3/8' added width. I used sprue from modeling kits I have laying around. It seems like adding that much would drastically alter the appearance of the car but the torpedo shape of the J Type takes it pretty well.
Mike