Another new guy

Tell us about you self, where you from, your car/cars, where you are driving your MAGracing cars etc. etc.
PDX Bryan

Another new guy

Post by PDX Bryan »

Hi all,
I just got reintroduced to slots about a year ago and now I discover this! About a year ago I got so excited by the great looking cars and beautiful detailed tracks that I got oldslotracer's track slotting kit. Fortunately/unfortunately I haven't had time to build a track. It's starting to look like I might not need that kit after all. We have a pretty good slot community here in Portland and the attitudes towards this new form of racing are mixed. I think that if I'm able to eventually get a track up and running I'll be able to get some recruits. Hopefully at least I can get it in the race schedule on an IROC basis. I've got a busy life so this will take some time but the Magracing design and all the helpful tips on this forum should make this more do-able and affordable than slots... at least I hope so.

Looking forward to it with patience,
PDX Bryan
Lasp

Re: Another new guy

Post by Lasp »

Hello and welcome to MagRacing.
Conventional Slot racing is many thing!
As you say, nice car, different types of tracks, diy track with the kit from OSR, posibility to build amazingslot landskap and house, like RallyHub , Kellerkind Luf, and many others.
But MagRacing is Moore about realistisk racing! Thats My Word .
Whit the reverse funktion, its Moore and Moore like a race.
I like it, and plan to sell the DIY kit ;-)
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

Thanks Lasp,

Can you explain more about your DIY kit idea?
Another question: Are you saying that slot car tracks are good for nice scenery and details but not as realistic racing? And that Magracing is not so good for scenery etc. but better for realistic competition?
Thanks,
PDX Bryan
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Sorry for confusing you. The DIY kit is the Kit from Luf, the OldSlotRacer.
I build some tracks!
I found that MagRacing, for the moment, are taking moore wider tracks, moor like a realistic track in real life ;-)
Hops it is better describtion!
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:yes Bryan,

Welcome to the forum and if you can't find a answer in all these posts , please ask away. We have many projects being worked on by assorted foru members, 1/24th scales, oval racing and even nascar cars/trucks. We use Wes' system (1/32) and go from there. Guess you have visited Wes' site in the UK?

magracing.co.uk :beer
later and welcome again

Chris
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

Yes Chris,
I've visited the u.k. site and it's great. Lots of good info.

When I got back into slot cars it was Oldslotracer's (Luf) site that really caught my attention. Have you seen his Targa Florio or Nurburgring tracks? Really stunning, flowing tracks with lots of interesting corners and elevation changes.

I was imagining these types of tracks with Mag cars diving down through the Corkscrew turns or chasing each other up some Targa style switch-backs. I even started daydreaming about Magracer Audi Quattros catching air on a rally stage track (4 wheel drive maybe?).

It seems, however, that I'm finding out that Mag cars might not be that good in these kind of settings. Are they a lot better on a more modern, flatter track? I wouldn't want to get my heart set on an idea, build it, then have it be no good to try to race on.

What do you guys with more experience think?

I'd love to see some more pictures of peoples tracks or track ideas.I'm also really liking the stuff some guys are doing with modifying chassis and vintage bodies.

Thanks,
Bryan
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:bighand Bryan
Which Portland you from, East or West coast?

Almost anything can be tried and maybe be successful with so let the creative thoughts run wild and keep us posted with you progress.

Chris :beer
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

I live just outside of Portland, Oregon. I'm hoping to get a chance to travel up to British Columbia and see Luf's track some day. Hopefully sooner than later. Are there any other Pacific Northwest people out there?

Bryan
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello Bryan. I almost fell over when I noticed you were from Portland. I am in Washougal, Wa.

Now we will have 2 tracks within driving distance......

Joel
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Welcome Bryan... My son and I are two more a bit farther away than Joel, just south of Seattle.

Although our track is in a private home we would be glad to have you come round if you wish a test drive. Just give us a PM when you might be up in the area. Currently the cars are in route back to England for parts (Ha! Another thing that reminders me of real racing cars!)to have reverse installed.

I believe the cars are probably under tractioned for serious hillclimb action, i.e. climbs in the 20% range but they can certainly copy rally action and are far better suited to "jumps" than slots since they would not have to land back in a slot, simply place a "v" of wire in the landing zone(see reference from double naught re climbing ability). Also reference Keid's track under construction as I believe he plans to have a series of jumps on one of the straits.

Anyway good to have you aboard.