The track surface

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Bernd W

Re: The track surface

Post by Bernd W »

Hi, i have a 1/32 slot track and i want to create a Magracing track, too.
I like your idea and have searched and found a magnet color here: http://www.magpaint.com/

Is it equal to plasti dip?

Bernd
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Bernd

JMR is using this paint to increase traction... Which may or may not be a desirable improvement.

This system requires the embedding of a carbon steel rod in the track for the magnet on the bottom of the cars to follow by steering the front wheels in a pre determined path. Simply painting your slot car roadbed with a paint containing magnetic particles will not produce the desired result.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Hello Bernd

Welcome to the forum.

Nobody (No Magracers) has tested the magnetic paint yet, I hope it can force the cars to go slower and if it can do that I will use it in the pit area to slow down the speed in the pitlane.
But I don't know if it is good enough and there are also a chance that the magnetic field from the paint can confuse the steering so the car can't follow the wire in the track.

The Paint JMR is using is to get more grip, but also this is a test, if we get to much grip in the cars the handling will disappear, we still need to be able to go sideways with the cars to keep it realistic.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I may be proven wrong and feel free to tell me what I may be missing, but I think that magnetic paint will be a mistake. Here is my argument to support my case.

First, any magnetic attraction that the paint offers won't be strong enough to replace the wire. If it is painted broadly across the the surface of the track on either side of the wire, it will only serve to befuddle (confuse) the magnetic tiller controlling the car's steering. After all it is the "difference" between the magnetic attraction on the wire verses the total lack of magnetic attraction where there is no wire that causes the tiller to do its job. That job is to simply point the front tires in the correct direction. The finer of a magnetic line that you can achieve will provide the finer the grade of steering accuracy that you hope to achieve. The .028" wire is pretty fine indeed. A paint brush width of mag paint or a whole lane's width of magnetic paint isn't very fine. Think scalpel rather than hammer.

Viva La Difference!
Mike
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I would tend to agree with Mike about the magnetic paint. But would it work as a lane change plate? I remembered that I have some and will try it out if I can get it to mix up. They recommend that you stir constantly for consistency. It has been sitting for a few years and was bulging under pressure and gave a large pop when I opened it. Guess what it's all rusty. I tried it many years ago for magnet racing on wood and the attraction was quite weak. Hmm... just thought it might flow through my pin striper. I'll let you all know what happens.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN0969c.jpg
DSCN0969c.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 15575 times
DSCN0970c.jpg
DSCN0970c.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 15575 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Dont use that!
It looks like something you Doctor not want to see ;-)
Its was me how make the comment about stir it very well.
And its to week for magnatracktion!
I also get my wire rostet, courrusion, becase i use spackel, before I paint it.

As Wes says, the wires on the track, and the lane changes is hard to master.

But it will come.
sincityslotcars

Post by sincityslotcars »

eewwwwwwwwwww.......
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

:rolf eewwww is right! Well it did stir up OK, made a small batch thinned with alcohol. Still had trouble getting though the pin striper, just too gritty. First test showed no effect on the car for steering, but they recommend two coats. I don't think you have enough mass. I think that might be enough for me, I am sure Lasp is right.

Paul
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

I have new magnetic powder that I ordered and will mix in some latex grey paint on a test board they sell the required amount for the can of paint you use, like qt, gal and such. so when the weather clears up, more d**n snow this morning, about 2 inches, I plan to move most of my testing out to the garage workshop.

Chris :ugeek:
JMR

Post by JMR »

Hello
I confirm PLASTI-DIP painting is not magnetique.La painting PLASTI DIP-like rubber to increase adhesion of the wheels.
The adhesion is enhanced on all 4 wheels.
According to my tests, the directivity of the front can be a problem, because a part of my course I can change the path to where it does not exist. Cars become oversteer but on one corner.
This may be due to the wire that is too profond.Il need to do more testing.
I'll post a video (it's a long time to do).