TRACK PLAN

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Keld
Administrator

Re: TRACK PLAN

Post by Keld »

lack of activity, yes maybe everybody is building, for me, I just moved my 300 m² racecenter to new address, so all building was down for more than a month. and then the cars goes to Wes, but next Thursday we will build and race again (hope the cars are here then)
/Keld
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Yes I was wondering how progress was coming on your new track... Now we know why. It can be quite a disruption to move a business. Will look forward to updates.
lamalgame

Post by lamalgame »

Bonsoir

What do you think of my future Magracing circuit? It's not too cornering?
cars going up the hill? I have not yet planned the racing lines
Attachments
lamalgame_circuit2D.jpg
lamalgame_circuit2D.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 14685 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

It looks good. MagRacing needs that amount of space.
Two very good and long straits and not so hard to make a aggressive Racing line in the part behind pitlane.
I like this solutions.

Hurry up now and make a part for testing.
Do you have a square plan so its more easy to judge the corners?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

nice, but before the 180° before the 2. long straight you have a little left turn, this is not good if you want a racing line in that big 180° right turn
/Keld
dan.gerous21

Post by dan.gerous21 »

This looks excellent - can we have the dimensions? It looks very big, which is a good thing if you have the room.

My own track is on hold at the moment as I finish a scale model dolls house, the girls have been wanting one for years so I have no choice at the moment!
lamalgame

Post by lamalgame »

Hello,

I hope to be around 5,50 m x 1,60 m .. if my wife is OK :)

I change a few turns and off the hill, there is a lot of tunnel I hope that it does not will remove the visibility
Attachments
lamalgame_circuit2e2_low.jpg
lamalgame_circuit2e2_low.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 14644 times
lamalgame

Post by lamalgame »

if you have ideas for racing lines I'm interested
lamalgame

Post by lamalgame »

I add an image without racing line... is easier to draw

thanks
Attachments
lamalgame_circuit2e1_low.jpg
lamalgame_circuit2e1_low.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 14644 times
Kuipo

Post by Kuipo »

I think it's a neat layout but after building our track I have some feedback for you. I don't want it to sound like I'm picking your design apart or saying it's bad, so bear with me...

1. There's a lot of looping back on itself, which is good for fitting more track on the board, but it also means that many of those corners will simply be a guardrail right next to the track (turns 8, 9 and possibly 6. 8 being the worst since it's right off of a straight) This will cause the cars to hit the rail and block the road for any following cars. Allowing for runoff space means the cars go off the track and any following cars can race by safely. We tried to keep at least one car's length from the wall/edge/guardrail to the outside line so that if a car were to get stuck on the wall in a corner (even sideways) cars could still pass.

2. I think your S complex (between 6 and 7) look much more like slot cars than magracing ones. When you're doing magracing, you draw a totally different track than you lay the rails. So maybe there's a S like you have drawn, but what is the track going to look like drawn over those rails? Why would anyone swerve at all if the track was the shape of what you've outlined? All the cars would simply drive straight down the middle. This is probably the most difficult thing to explain. If I'm not making sense I can draw out something later.

3. This actually goes hand in hand with the above comment. I don't think the track is wide enough. There aren't any modern day tracks that are this thin at all. Modern day F1 tracks for example are roughly (to 1/32" scale) 2 feet wide. Clearly none of us have that much room, but 9~10" makes the track look much more modern. Also, the wider the track the more impact racing lines have. Currently with the track so thin, racing line will not save you more than a split second a lap. It wouldn't be worth the time to make the lane changes, which ends up racing a lot like slotcars again. Making the track wider would allow for much better racing lines that save more time and reward drivers for taking them.

4. I'm not doing the math here but the I feel like that's a LOT to fit into 15'x5 1/4'. Our track is made from 2 4'x8' boards and has a lot fewer turns.

5. Think very hard about the overpass. It can be a lot of work to get the incline work and such, and when you get closer and closer to finishing the track, you may just want to get it up and working so you can run the cars and fix what you have before adding in a bunch of overpasses. This layout doesn't allow you to "shortcut" the overpass if you get impatient or can't make the overpass work. A plan B layout might be needed in that case. We originally had planned for one but decided to not do it after it became a hassle and we wanted to see if the rest of the track even worked first.

This all aside, I don't want to dissuade you in any of this. These are all just suggestions. I'm looking forward to seeing it built even if all of them get ignored :lol: