New, and in need of assistance!!

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
twince

New, and in need of assistance!!

Post by twince »

Hello everyone!

Have only just discovered this system, and I'm fairly sure that I will be ordering some cars etc shortly.

I am after some advice on track design please. I intend to make my first track using an 8ft X 4ft board and wanted to know what I can reasonably fit onto a board this size.

I have sketched up a quick design as a first attempt, and with this in mind please can you help with the following?
- How tight will the cars corner? would they make it round the corner tightness I have drawn?
- Is there a way to work out the radius etc for drawing the corners, rather than doing it freehand? Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance

Terry
Attachments
magtrack.JPG
magtrack.JPG (102.58 KiB) Viewed 17724 times
Keld
Administrator

Re: New, and in need of assistance!!

Post by Keld »

I must really think here, converting inch to cm and back again ;)

A car will go around a 7" (17,6 cm) radius corner, but when I build the real track, 9" (22,7 cm) will be the minimum radius.

as I can see your design have corners with a diameter of 1ft (30,5 cm) I think you should make them at least 7" or more

lower right corner, the lanechange is too close on the corner.

after a corner on the track you need a straight of at least 10 cm / 4" before any lanechange, this is just to able to make the lanechange.
But I will prefer at least 10" (25 cm) because when racing the corner the magnet is forced to the the outer lane if there is a lanechange, and when racing and coming out of the corner the car will fishtail a little going from on side to another when you are accelerate and sometimes the car just choose the lanechange because you are fishtailing too much. (I do that on my first testtrack)

in the pit lane where we hope cars are going slowly the lanechange can be closer
/Keld
twince

Post by twince »

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible for you to explain what you mean by this?
Keld wrote:as I can see your design have corners with a diameter of 1ft (30,5 cm) I think you should make them at least 7" or more
Sorry for the questions, but I really want to get a good track design sorted before I begin making it.

Thanks again!
steellynx

Post by steellynx »

Hi Terry and welcome to magracing :)

I really like the twistiness of the track. It should make your races really challenging and exciting because the drivers will always have to worry about speed control. The lack of a long straight will probably also mean that the cars will not reach full speed. That is not a bad thing, just something to take into account. The cars actually drive fairly fast so even a straight of 6' will be traversed in a few seconds at most, probably around 2-3 seconds depending on the turn leading into it.

As for the turn radius Keld is right. The cars can do a tight 7" turn, but you have to go real slow. The magnet will only turn the front wheels, it will not really do anything to actually keep the car on the track. That last bit is, btw, what I like the most about magracing.

The inner lane on the lower right corner looks far too tight and the cars do need a fair bit of straight wire before the lane change plates. I did a small test track that had around 15cm after the turn to the lane change plate and sometimes conditions (speed, fish tailing, front wheel direction and so on) would make it take the non-default option.

Sorry if we sound a bit negative. Just trying to help out :)

If you have the time and energy I can really recommend doing a simple test track. Wes have some really good layouts for tracks that are both simple to build (I guess - I used some other designs for my test tracks) and will still be fun to race on (which my test tracks weren't!)

I hope you get started soon and get some good results. And please post pictures of your progress, tracks and cars. It's a new hobby and everyone's work and ideas can help inspire others.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Hope I do it better this time :)

the yellow lines are corner with a small radius, you write you layout is 4x8 ft and draw 4 x 8 squeres, so I can guess that the radius are to small.

the yellow circle (Lanechange) is to close to a corner.
magtrack.JPG
magtrack.JPG (46.63 KiB) Viewed 17679 times
/Keld
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi, If you look at the Magracing website under 'Tracks', all is explained there.
twince

Post by twince »

Thank you for the replies gents, I have had another go at the design based on what you have said. Will put up a photo when I get home later on.

Wes, I have sent you an email regarding ordering cars etc, I am really keen to get some stuff ordered and get racing.

Many thanks again

Terry
twince

Post by twince »

Track Design Version.2

Hopefully this is better, what do you guys think?
Attachments
magracing.jpg
magracing.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Voow It looks mucht more cleaner and safe, to build an race.
Make the crossing lane change opposit depå more longer!

Will wait for pictures, but its a good start.
steved033

Post by steved033 »

nice design!!

I really like that.

sjd