buildings, scenery

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Keld
Administrator

buildings, scenery

Post by Keld »

I am fascinated bye the buildings on the Targa Track, OSR can you tell how its made, I think that could be done at home so several members inthe club could make buildings.

And if anyone else have knowledge how to make?? let us know.

on this picture a building is taken off.

/Keld
oldslotracer

Re: buildings, scenery

Post by oldslotracer »

Several people made the buildings, some were made from FoamCore, some from card stock, some from styrofoam and most of the buildings in the village were made from Plexiglas and then wrapped in plaster cloth.
The windows, doors and tile roofs we found in model train stores.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

OSR.

I've always enjoyed the correct type buildings and grafitti of the Sicilian village. I was stationed in Sigonella NAF in the 1963 , 1967 and 1969 and went to 4 Targa races and even saw Mr. Shelby there when the Cobras were raced in Sicily for the first time. Oh yeah I married a young lady from the town of Lentini in 1962.

so I know what the towns and the crazy 44 mile lap look like in mafia land.

Chris Sr.
oldslotracer

Post by oldslotracer »

Not many people, other than Sicilians and reporters, have seen a Targa race, never mind 4! You're a lucky dog, Chris
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Chris, did you record it? your lucky goat. (parlano italiane?)

I have a guy in my club, born and raised in sicili, I must ask him if he see the race when he was young.
/Keld
masmojo

Post by masmojo »

I find in pictures that the majority of buildings on the Targa are made of a rough hewn block or brick. I am not sure if they are stone or not? Many islands (especially in the Mediteranian) have buildings made of blocks of coral taken from the sea. Sometimes they use ground up coral as an aggregate in making concrete. I have read of many buildings in the region becoming unstable or having to be rebuilt because of the salt leaching out of the coral. Many times when you see stucco pealing off the walls and the block expose this is the cause!

To simlate this block I used molds from Hirst Art's, A tip I got from Bill on Slot Forum.

http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html

:yes
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Hi all
Think I still have a VHS tape with some races in Sicily, have to break out my player to see which race I taped. Also better copy all of the tape to a DVD, I was when I was in the island while in the USN 1962 to about 1965. I met Richie Gunther and Jim Clark at a F-1 race at Lake Pargusa in Enna in 1963. I will keep you all posted on the VHS contents.

Chris

Yes I did speak Italian back then cause I married a local gal in 1962 and lived off base for 6 years.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

This is very cool, :yes I found it very interesting, and ask my youngest (age 16) to look at it and order, he has the patience to build these buildings.

@Chris - back then! you can't forget, can you?
I still try to learn more Italian, using youtube and other online programs, last summer a waiter in a restaurant ask me if I was Italian :roll: that was the best compliment I ever got. Just like 25 years ago where some English guys had a discussion about which part of England I was from, they could't hear it on my accent. :rolf
/Keld
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Keld,
Yes and the funny part I almost failed English in High School but my girl friend pulled me through in 1959.

Joined the USN in 1960 and in 1962 transfered to Sicily. and by 1963 I was rather good and Italian and by 1965 was even understanding and speaking alot of Sicilian to my in-laws. All without formal schooling in their language, and my only English speaking Sicilian was my sister-law (13 yrs old) and my buddy Fredrico who was learning English for his job.

All you have to do is not think of learning a language , just be around people who can't speak your language. Nature takes it course all on it's own. Did the same when I married my 2nd wife from Lima Peru back in 1972.

I love what life can teach you without you even trying to assist it.

I even had the chance to climb the active volcano (Mt. Etna) many times in Sicily As I think now very dangerous as hell to do that , but I was a camera nut also back then , besides going to races when my wife would permit. Wife I have now isn't like that now, (thank the gods).

Later Keld and I will check that VHS out this week. promise

Chris :beer