Modular tracks

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

Re: Modular tracks

Post by Double Naught »

Here is a four car video with the multilane track. It looks like it will be fun. I need to complete the next dozen triple wire lane changes and paint it. Each lane has it's own racing line. The squeeze if for the four lap counter. Krusty (Randy) likes Marks driving.

Paul

Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Great

much better than I thought it would be :bighand
/Keld
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

Hello All; My modular motordrome is dangerously close to making a public appearance. The good news is the track has been set up and taken down a half dozen times now with good results. For the past month it has been set up in the back yard under a portable enclosure. We have had a lot of rain here and the track has stayed dry. Pickup shoe distance from track should be .015- .025 in. This is done with paper feeler gauges. Reducing the travel on the controller thus limiting top speed to 70-75 % diminishes the high speed shimmy at top speed. Lap speeds have gone back up to the 15 sec. range for two laps but still too fast to run flat out without spinning or loosing coupling. Managed to get 6 drivers on the track for testing. Myself and 5 young adults all in their 20,s . The single most important thing about racing is the driver. Three times we tried to do a simple follow the leader session with no passing . we could not complete three laps before utter chaos erupted. Young men do not have the discipline. The use of profanity and threats of bodily harm fell on deaf ears. They must run each other into the wall, hit each other head on, run across the infield and onto the track without regard to traffic or caution periods. The whole event could be described as a destruction derby !!!! What with all the damaged equipment !!! My daughter , the only lady on the track was the only one of the bunch that drove like she actually had a brain in her head. In future, every "rookie" will have to pass a drives test and receive a liscence to run on my track. This is real racing, serious business.
WesR

Post by WesR »

I know what you mean about lack of driving skills. We have consistently had
difficulty finding drivers who are prepared to race seriously which has been a great dissapointment to me personally. As can be seen in some of my videos, my 10 year
old grandaughter will provide better racing than many adult men
Re. the magnet ride height, I just adjust it till it touches the track at the highest
wire point. Then work on the track (a thin film of filler or a couple of coats of paint
alongside the wire to raise the track ) until the magnet clears the wire. Then lower
the magnet 1/4 turn and move on to the next high point. Slow work but fishtailing
has now been completely removed from our Linford 2 track and car run straight as
an arrow.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

Hi I have just been reading through here and its nice to see so many people with similar thoughts.

The modular track idea is a really good one and here are my ideas to add into the mix.

Wood sheet is usually supplied in 8ft x 4ft sheet or its metric equivalent. Most vans are even designed around this size. So the standard format should be a multiple of this. Maybe 4ft square would be a decent size or 4ft x 2 ft, 4ft x 1 ft etc. This way the boards can be cut without any waste.

A standard thickness is also important so its easy to set up.

Laser cutting is an ideal process for making these boards. Its extremely cheap, very accurate and can cut details to depth in wood. For example all the wire routing could be done for you as well as text and other details such as track edge and turn in markings. The edges could be designed to clip together like a jigsaw. It would also be possible to make snap together bridges etc. All very eco friendly.

Laser cutting has an additional advantage in that track designs can be shared via 2D .DXF format files which we can distribute to anyone and they can make them locally.