Figure 8?

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

Figure 8?

Post by Double Naught »

I'd like to build a small figure 8 but I'm not sure how to route the racing line on it. Any ideas?

Paul
Double Naught

Re: Figure 8?

Post by Double Naught »

Well I guess I'm on my own with the design. This is what I have come up with so far. Let me know what you think. This is number two in my "Loaner series", I figure that they will be like selling crack. I'll loan out a car or two and a small portable track to some unsuspecting slot car racer and he'll be hooked! Buying more cars and building MAGracing tracks! :rolf
How about the location of the two lane changes? No separate racing line but uses the two regular wires.
Attachments
Figure 8.jpg
Figure 8.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 15333 times
Figure 8 2.jpg
Figure 8 2.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 15333 times
oldslotracer

Post by oldslotracer »

That will make a great practice track
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Nice start of the elevaiting! I have been thinking of simular things.
More pictures please says Lasp ;-)

But it seens to be a narrow corner!
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

That is a neat little track. Did you use foam for the ramps?

Brion.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

going down the ramps and doing lane change at the same time :stop that can only end in disaster I think. But I look forward to hear the result.

I think you need 2 LC on each straight, even that it is much for such a small track.
and the racing line for each corner.
/Keld
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I have to try the lane change on the ramp, after seeing the cars go around the off camber corner when I was doing the incline tests I think it will work. I agree on the other lane change, but if you to do a racing line where you it go? Just with the two lane changes you have the racing line (you would have to do a left turn and a right turn each lap to stay on the racing line).

Paul
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I can't see any racingline on your track, you have 2 lane changes, just before a corner, where you choose to take the inner curve if you do the LC

But in my opinion the racing line is nothing like that, the racing line is the fastest way around the corner, but you must consider the speed when you leave the corner, bringing must possible speed to the start of the straight.

I make a drawing just come back in 10 min.
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

8figureapex.png
8figureapex.png (45.08 KiB) Viewed 15298 times
black is racing line

apex on such a big corner must be closer to the exit, since the speed you can bring to the straight is all that matters
you brake as late as possible starting with a big corner, inside the corner the speed comes down to a speed that can bring the car to the inner lane, the inside of the curve is not possible when you start acceleration at the exit and you are forced to the opposite side of the track bye the G-force.

That the real racing, in Mag you can use that and have 3 lines in the corner
thats why you go from outside to outside and not using the racingline as a lane change
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

the black is the racing line, miss one and you can still take it at the next corner

the green is lane change only 2 was necessary

fast in and fast out

8fig2.png
8fig2.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 15297 times
/Keld